New Contributor
Vikz27

Help! Should I....

Hello everyone! I just bought my first car(mustang 2014) yesterday for $29,995 and made a down payment of 4,000. I financed with the dealer (fico of 675) a 9.95% loan with 72 payments. since I am 24 years old the insurance premium made my car payment go to $540 monthly. My parents have and all inclusive insurance and their agent told me they can add me so I can lower my payment and the are working on it.
I was wondering if I should refinance my loan with my jobs credit union which is giving a 3.49% interest for GE employees? Would that be the correct choice? If I refinance what would happen to me down payment? Will it affect my credit report negatively since not even a week has passed?

Sorry if some of these questions are dumb, It's the first time I buy a car.
Established Contributor
SamsungHDTV

Re: Help! Should I....

Vikz27 wrote:
Hello everyone! I just bought my first car(mustang 2014) yesterday for $29,995 and made a down payment of 4,000. I financed with the dealer (fico of 675) a 9.95% loan with 72 payments. since I am 24 years old the insurance premium made my car payment go to $540 monthly. My parents have and all inclusive insurance and their agent told me they can add me so I can lower my payment and the are working on it.
I was wondering if I should refinance my loan with my jobs credit union which is giving a 3.49% interest for GE employees? Would that be the correct choice? If I refinance what would happen to me down payment? Will it affect my credit report negatively since not even a week has passed?

Sorry if some of these questions are dumb, It's the first time I buy a car.

If you are already qualified to refinance at 3.49%, you should do it. That's a huge savings.

If you bought the car for $30,000 rounded up and you put a down payment of $4,000 you're current loan amount should be $26,000. If you refinance at the credit union your loan amount should be about $26,000 plus a little interest maybe. So you're down payment still reflects in the LTV. I don't think it will negatively reflect on your credit.

But if I was in your shoes, I would for sure take the refinance.

I'm a personal banker and do a lot of auto loans serving the Houston area.
I suggest first time car buyers to read the sticky guide in the auto loan section.
I try to check these forums often, but if I missed your post, please feel free to message me with a link to it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+