Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help/advice Needed *UPDATE*

tag
AlreadyObssessed
Established Member

Help/advice Needed *UPDATE*

I am currently in desperate need of a vehicle. I have been repairing my credit since Nov. of 2014 and got my scores up from 548 to 627 for Equifax, Transunion, and 621 for Experian. I have an unpaid tax lein, 2 paid judgements, and one unpaid judgement on my reports. The paid judgements and scheduled to come off within the next few months. I, also, have a forclosure from 3 yrs ago reporting. I applied for a loan through a local credit union and was declined. Who do I have a better chance of getting an approval from? I wanted to wait until the baddies came off, but my current vehicle is one its last leg and has cut off on me numerous times on the highway. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Just wanted to give an update....

I applied for an auto loan with Capital One and I was approved! $25,712 @ 6.95%. I plan on refinancing in 6-9 months after the rest of my baddies fall off. Both of the judgements come off my report within the next two months and the tax lien will be cleared soon as well. 

Taking it one day at a time.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Help/advice Needed

Not to be harsh but I would say you have no chance of getting a loan... even if you did you would have some ridiculous 20%+ interest rate that will quickly drown you in negative equity.

You really need to fix the issues on your CR.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 6
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

You probably need to try dealer financing and see what you can get. You could also try capital 1 online and see if they will approve anything for you. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are different schools of thought on this. When possible, I'd say pay off/down everything you can to clean up the credit profile. This will result in lower rates for the loan and save you money in the long rung.

But you seem to be in a bit of a pickle! Get the downpayment amount as high as you can. 

Take a good look at your regular bills. Can you downsize anything to free up monthly cash? 

Have you had an auto loan in the past? (Some pay cash for used cars, some "inherit" cars....etc) If so, did you ever have any lates on it?

You may not be able to get great financing....right now. You may be stuck with higher rates and a lower avaialble loan amount. Be prepared to shop around for quality used cars to find things in your price range.

Don't forget to factor in the insurance cost of a vehicle with a lein. 

As far as WHO or WHERE for the rates, each state will be different and your income/expenses etc paly a role. Try other credit unions, try your regular bank. 

Message 4 of 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Its going to be a long shot. I think you have a better chance of trying to figure out what's causing your car to go out and fixing it. The last time that my car cut out on me while I was driving, all I needed were new spark plugs. A cheap fix.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help/advice Needed *UPDATE*

If I read your updated post correctly, it says you got approval from Capital One for over $25k at 6.95% ?

That is great news and you should be on your way to a better car.

If you can get your scores up and baddies down, I think its a good shot that you can get it refinanced even lower, like from DCU.

Great Job!

Hope to hear what you ended up buying.

GL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.