Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help repo for vandalism?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help repo for vandalism?

My car was recently vandalized. Several windows were busted out, they tore up the inside, tried to remove the radio and touch screen. It happened while I was at work and I filed a police report. The dealership is telling me if I don't pay everything, the car note, the deductible, and to fix the damages in full and get it back in the shape it was in, he's going to come repo the car and sue me for the damages?! Is this legal? Can he really do that?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help repo for vandalism?

You owe your car payments. No matter what happens. You owe, every month, until the car is paid off in full.

You may have insurance that pays off the car for you if the damage is sufficient to "total" the car, or insurance that will repair the damage. If your insurance does cover anything, you owe the deductible. You should call your insurance company to determine what coverage you have.

Yes, if you stop making payments for any reason, and if your insurance does not pay off the balance on the car, you will get the car repo'ed and they will sue you for the deficiency balance. Your bad luck does not excuse you from making payments as per the contract you signed.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The primary reason for full coverage insurance being required on any car with a lien on it (loan) is that the car will be repaired if there is damage to it. You will have to pay the deductible. Your car payments are a contractual obligation and remain in force until such time as the contract is terminated. People seem to sign all kinds of contracts without really, fully understanding their obligstions. It sucks to pay for something you can't use, trust me I understand I had a brand new lemon of a car that sat for 45 days in the repair shop in the first year and I still had to make that new car payment.
Message 3 of 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

As others have said, if you don't make the payment they can reposses.

The deductible is something you will need to pay the insurance company or the place repairing the car.

Fixing the damage should be covered by full coverage - the deductible.

Can you provide more details?

What type of dealer did you buy the car from? Big brand (say Chevy), used car lot or Buy here Pay here type of lot.

How does the dealer know your car was vandalized?

Do you have full coverage on the auto?

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Every response above is right. Your monthly payment to the lender is to pay off the money you borrowed to purchase the vehicle.  

That loan payment has no relationship to the vehicle maintenance or repair or insurance. You need to make those payments in addition to the loan payment. 

How in the world did the dealership know the vehicle was vandalized?

That information would be between you and the police and your insurance company.  I hope you have full coverage insurance. 

Message 5 of 6
CowboyRay

This sounds like he bought the car at a BHPH lot and decided to go back to said BHPH lot for repairs.

Am I correct with my assumptions?

Do you have comprehensive insurance?

Certain subprime lenders state in the contract that they reserve the right to execute a self help reposession upon the vehicle being a total loss.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.