Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with negotiation strategy

tag
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Help with negotiation strategy

Found a CPO car that I want. It's a 2007 Porsche 911 C4S on a Porsche dealer lot. Secured financing [through dealer] yesterday but we are $2k apart from the listed price vs what I want to pay. The dealer does not seem willing to reduce the list price by $1 ... so what should I do next.

I walked out yesterday telling the dealer to call me when they figure out how to bridge that $2k gap and I'll commit to closing the deal by end of this month. Should I just sit tight and let the clock run closer to end of month?

While I wait, I applied to NFCU online to see if I could be approved with a better rate. Received an email from NFCU asking me to call as "additional details are needed" to process my loan request.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with negotiation strategy

This -I walked out yesterday telling the dealer to call me when they figure out how to bridge that $2k gap and I'll commit to closing the deal by end of this month. Should I just sit tight and let the clock run closer to end of month?

Sit tight till the end of the month.  That is the best time to shop and make deals anyway.  So wait it out.  Don't call and let them come to you.  In the mean time, handle the stuff with NFCU but wait it out.

Message 2 of 19
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Try to find a comparable car to use as leverage. Then you could be like, "oh, I found a 2008 that had a little less miles on it, and the same price".

Used cars are all about comparables.

Message 3 of 19
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

Found a CPO car that I want. It's a 2007 Porsche 911 C4S on a Porsche dealer lot. Secured financing [through dealer] yesterday but we are $2k apart from the listed price vs what I want to pay. The dealer does not seem willing to reduce the list price by $1 ... so what should I do next.

I walked out yesterday telling the dealer to call me when they figure out how to bridge that $2k gap and I'll commit to closing the deal by end of this month. Should I just sit tight and let the clock run closer to end of month?

While I wait, I applied to NFCU online to see if I could be approved with a better rate. Received an email from NFCU asking me to call as "additional details are needed" to process my loan request.

Any suggestions?

In my experience, the email from NFCU is a standard.  I refinanced 3 loans with them last Sept and received the same message for all 3 loan apps, and to contact NFCU to provide the details.  IIRC, all 3 were submitted the same day: 2 in the morning, and the last around 3-4 pm. 

I called upon receiving the first email and was approved for the 2 loans after the CSR placed me on hold for about 10-15 minutes.  The CSR did not ask for any additional information other than the lien holder's name, even though it was on my application. After they confirmed my application, my 2 loans were approved over the phone.

For the 3rd loan, I went through the same process as above, but the CSR could not reach my current lien holder.  As such, they could not approve my loan at that time.  Next morning, I contacted NFCU to provide the additional details, but the CSR explained it was not necessary to provide the additional details since they had already verified my application, and was already approved! 

The CSR rep also stated the message you received was standard message while the loan is being reviewed by an actual loan officer.  If you're credit profile is very good to excellent, I wouldn't worry to much about it.  Otherwise, give them a call and they'll try to expidite it or explain what needs to happen.  Good luck!

As for the 911, find a comparable one elsewhere.  Or keep holding out.  If it's still available next month, see if they'll plan ball then.

Message 4 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

About comparables....

I had found the identical car with different color for $6k less than this dealer is asking. By the time my local CU [Vystar] got around to responding to my app, the car was sold. As these are not high-volume cars, dealers are very hard-nosed about initial pricing and price reductions. I'm not emotionally tied to the car but it was sweet to have been approved for $43k at 5% for 60 months.

Will report back...about to call NFCU now.

Message 5 of 19
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Use a broker...

Message 6 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Dj4Money wrote:

Use a broker...

What does a broker do for a buyer that a buyer cannot do for themselves? Will a dealer negotiate a lower price with a broker but not with a buyer directly?

Message 7 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

So far so good ...

Received a conditional approval from NFCU and just emailed my bank statements and pay docs to them.

Message 8 of 19
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

Since your loan is good for a while, have you checked out the Rennlist forum for available 911s?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdriver wrote:

So far so good ...

Received a conditional approval from NFCU and just emailed my bank statements and pay docs to them.

Awesome... Keep us posted on results..

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.