Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hertz Rent2Buy - buying a used car from Hertz

tag
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Hertz Rent2Buy - buying a used car from Hertz

Does anyone have any experience with buying a car from Hertz?

I'm somewhat disappointed,

I reserved a car in St Louis; I currently live in Indianapolis, about a 4/5 hour drive to St Louis. With Hertz, you can rent the car for 3 days, and return it if you decide you don't want to buy it. You can also buy it immediately after driving the car (you don't have to wait the whole 3 days). I'm willing to drive the 4 hours, because this car is more than $3,000 less than what the dealerships want.

Problem is, I received an email that because I live out of state I will have to sign some sales documents. No problem right? Well... I have to set an appointment and travel to there authorized office in Kansas City (remember the car is in St Louis) - this is another 4/5 hours from St Louis.

All in all the whole process is frustrating, because on top of all that travel, there is a possibility the Hertz rental center could accidentally rent out my car (even though you reserve it), and the paperwork could be a mess. I don't exactly have days to wait around two states away from my home state of Indiana.

Is this just a Missouri issue? I still want to try out Hertz, but I have a lot of questions and unknowns... for now I canceled my reservation, maybe I will try Kentucky.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hertz Rent2Buy - buying a used car from Hertz

I can only offer the following

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Car Rental Assistant: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here, that's why you have the reservation.

Car Rental Assistant: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to TAKE the reservation, you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Seinfeld

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 2 of 3
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Re: Hertz Rent2Buy - buying a used car from Hertz

lol

I sent an email to Hertz. Maybe I will call theme, but the whole process is confusing... love how their site says "A Better Way to Buy". There FAQs section doesn't mention neither Indiana nor Missouri requiring signing documents at a license location.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.