Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest score used for joint loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest score used for joint loan?

My wife and I have little knowledge when it comes to joint auto financing and scores. Her parents paid cash for her vehicle as wedding gift 4 years ago and I had my car paid off 3 years ago. September of last year my car was on its death bed and we had no choice but to finance a car payment. (Side note: this is when we started our credit awareness journey) We thought we had "good credit" because we always paid our loans on time in the past, we didn't have any credit cards or owe any money.... HA! WE WERE WRONG... My wife didn't have a credit score (even though her file was 10 years old) and I had a fico 08 Ex 545. We were able to finance a car by putting a large chunk down and with 19.0 interest with GM financial. Fast forward 6 months and now we have cleaned up my inaccurate student loan payment and opened credit cards, and now my score has improved 70-100 points across the board. Both of us have much higher auto enhanced scores than fico 08.... 

Now my question: if we trade in our vehicle we bought in September and finance different car...

1. Do auto loans use the higher or lower of the our fico scores?

2. What is "tier 1/2/3" I see in the fine print in regards to financing interest?

3 REPLIES 3
flan
Regular Contributor

Re: Highest score used for joint loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I have little knowledge when it comes to joint auto financing and scores. Her parents paid cash for her vehicle as wedding gift 4 years ago and I had my car paid off 3 years ago. September of last year my car was on its death bed and we had no choice but to finance a car payment. (Side note: this is when we started our credit awareness journey) We thought we had "good credit" because we always paid our loans on time in the past, we didn't have any credit cards or owe any money.... HA! WE WERE WRONG... My wife didn't have a credit score (even though her file was 10 years old) and I had a fico 08 Ex 545. We were able to finance a car by putting a large chunk down and with 19.0 interest with GM financial. Fast forward 6 months and now we have cleaned up my inaccurate student loan payment and opened credit cards, and now my score has improved 70-100 points across the board. Both of us have much higher auto enhanced scores than fico 08.... 

Now my question: if we trade in our vehicle we bought in September and finance different car...

1. Do auto loans use the higher or lower of the our fico scores?

2. What is "tier 1/2/3" I see in the fine print in regards to financing interest?

Usually lenders use the lower score. 

Tiers are how the lender breaks down customers into groups based on risk.  Tier 1 is people with the lowest risk, tier 2 is above that, etc.  Auto lenders make risk decision based on factors other than score.  A low DTI ratio helps reduce  perceived risk, as do big down payments. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I am understanding you correctly, tiers are not 720-850 =tier 1 or 580 to 620 = tier 4? You can receive a higher tier (or better financing) with a larger down payment and lower dti? Is rent included in the DTI? Is 10% a good down payment with an auto fico of 660?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before car payment my DTI is 28% rent and other cc/loan payments included. After a car payment my DTI would be 30-33%. I guess I'm asking if that is considered a high or low DTI.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.