Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda Financing... And a Few Tips

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honda Financing... And a Few Tips

Just want to share my experience with Honda Financing. Went shopping for a 2016 Accord Sport yesterday, and was told the 0.9% for 60 months or 1.9% for 72 months was only available for the 2015 models. They said the best they could possibly do was 2.9% for a 2016 which I was not thrilled about.

I had a monthly payment target going in to the dealership based on purchase price, interest rate, and loan term. The purchase price was the number we had already agreed on, but the interest rate put my monthly payment $8 over what I had planned for. I stepped outside and called a few other dealerships to verify whether the promotional rates only applied to older models. It seemed like this was generally the truth, but a couple of the dealerships I spoke with made it seem like there is some wiggle room.

I stepped back inside, and told them if they can't get the rate down then I'd like them to lower the price $400 or I would unfortunately have to walk away. Voila, they produced a 2.29% interest rate for the 2016 that was $1 over my magic payment number. I'll let them win that one - LOL.

I understand they want to move their in-stock 2015's to make way for the new models, but don't let them tell you there are things they have "no power" over... everything is negotiable. Before buying a car, I'd always recommend:

1. Shop purchase prices from multiple dealerships (I send out mass emails to all the local dealerships).

2. Do some research to see what interest rate you will likely get based on your credit and the loan term (loan length).

3. Use an auto loan calculator to determine what the payment should be before you go in. That way in case they try to throw in any add-ons or do any funny business you will know.

If they ask you what you want your monthly payment to be, tell them you are more concerned with the purchase price, interest rate, and loan term as those are the three factors that determine your monthly payment. If you can agree on those three factors, your monthly payment will be what you have already determined it should be.

Oh, and don't let Honda tell you they can't get your interest rate down on a 2016 model! Smiley LOL

Happy shopping!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Honda Financing... And a Few Tips

Thanks for the info.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job on negotiating!

Thanks for the info, might be shopping for an Acura soon

Hope that car works out for you, going to check the website for it.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my baby!

Accord.jpg

Message 4 of 13
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my baby!

Accord.jpg

Nice ride!  Congratulations.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Honda Accord Sport is my absolute favorite car in the Honda lineup now due to its sporty looks and tremendous value.  Congratulations!  Does your sales agreement say your financing with American Honda Finance Corp?  Or with another bank like Chase?

Message 6 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Nice!  Congrats on your new ride dpeezy!

Message 7 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my baby!

Beautiful! Thanks for this thread. I am going to start looking at Hondas and will now include the sport in my search. I'm considering their awesome lease specials right now.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my baby!

Beautiful! Thanks for this thread. I am going to start looking at Hondas and will now include the sport in my search. I'm considering their awesome lease specials right now.

Good luck!

By the way, according to CK they double-pulled TU and single pulled EQ. New auto loan net yet reporting, old auto loan not showing as paid off yet. New mortgage from May has just popped up on EQ only.

TU dropped two points, EQ dropped 7.

Message 9 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

By the way, according to CK they double-pulled TU and single pulled EQ. New auto loan net yet reporting, old auto loan not showing as paid off yet. New mortgage from May has just popped up on EQ only.

TU dropped two points, EQ dropped 7.

Honda Financing doubled pulled you on TU? That seems odd. I can understand a double pull across two CRAs, but on the same..hmmm.

My TU score is my best right now though. =) and I am in Nor Cal. EX and EQ are not too far behind. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.