Valued Member
ard991

How Long to Wait before Apping for Auto Loan?

[ Edited ]

A bit of history first.  So this year is the first year I legitimately started building credit (22 y/o).  Got my first card, a BoA Cash Rewards, in January, with a limit of $1000.  In July I got a Discover, and last month I got an AmEx BCP, Chase Freedom, and a CLI on the BoA.  Total credit is now $11,500.  

So avg AAoA is about a year now, no baddies, about $18,000 in student loans (deferred until I graduate).  5 hard inquiries on both EX and TU, none on Equifax.  Utilization will be kept at 1-4%.  Score from Discover back in July was 728, and before apping for the Freedom and AmEx, Equifax and TU on myFico was 705/708ish.  The Chase Freedom came back with a EX based risk score of 678.  I did however get AmEx's best interest rate at 12.99% for the BCP so I dunno why AmEx got such a good score I guess and Chase didn't, though the AmEx limit was less.  

Income is from an engineering internship that equals roughly 56k/yr.  

So my score has likely taken a temporary ding from all the new accounts/inquiries I assume, but when could I potentially app for about a 20k auto loan?  How long should I wait?  I've never had an auto loan before, so no auto-enhanced score bonus there.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor
Luscher

Re: How Long to Wait before Apping for Auto Loan?

Id say your good to go.
CHASE FREEDOM | CHASE RITZ | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | DISCOVER IT | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$25,000---------$22,700-----------$18,000------------$11,000--------$8,750----------$5,000----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 785 EQ: 760
Valued Member
ard991

I mean you don't think I'd be better off waiting for the new account dings to go off, in order to get a better interest rate?  I went from one credit card with a $1000 interest rate to four with $11500 in a couple months.   I dunno how much my score might shoot up if I waited, or if it'd be enough to potentially get a much better rate.

Valued Contributor
Dustink

ard991 wrote:

I mean you don't think I'd be better off waiting for the new account dings to go off, in order to get a better interest rate?  I went from one credit card with a $1000 interest rate to four with $11500 in a couple months.   I dunno how much my score might shoot up if I waited, or if it'd be enough to potentially get a much better rate.

I would give it at least 6 month's. Come up with a good down payment. You should be able to get a good rate.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}