cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i get finance company to slash APR?

tag
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

How can i get finance company to slash APR?

I was discharged from BK in june and i was able to finance a car which i needed to get to work its incurring about 45 dollars a month on intrest i need help trying to slash this rate its like 28% I was thinking about paying the balance around tax time because I find it ridiculous! But I needed it... Any ideas? I cant refi due to inquiries on CR I would like to build atleast some history with the car but the intrest is too crazy!

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
awal
Regular Contributor

Re: How can i get finance company to slash APR?

I don't think you have any option other than to apply for another loan. Why would they lower the APR? They have you locked in at that rate. Your best bet will be to work on your credit score and refinance at a later time.

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 2 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yup get the score up and REFI it asap.

Message 3 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Actually unless your loan is structured with some kind of prepayment penalty just putting a large payment on it around tax time will significantly reduce the interest you are paying over the life of the loan. I did this a few years ago with a Cap 1 auto loan that was at 22%. I paid down a couple thousand in one payment. Now Cap 1 came back and said "You don't need to make another payment until XX/XX/XXXX" in other words they just credited it as regular payment for the next 10 months and said I didn't need to pay again until month 11.

What I did instead was just keep making the regular monthly payments until the loan was finally paid off early. It saved a lot of interest on the balance paid down with the lump sum payment. Check your loan docs. If it is just a normal simple interest loan with a high interest rate this can work for you too. I won't even begin to try and figure out what interest I (or you) save but if you put all the numbers up (Current balance, interest rate, remaining term, proposed lump sum) one of the Excel geeksSmiley Tongue will quickly tell you what you save.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 7
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Thats exactly what I am going to do, because I do not want to over pay for a car for no reason. I know dropping a couple thousand kinda sucks but paying 250 a month sucks even more

Message 5 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, pay it down as quick as you can, and keep working on cleaning your CR and building new credit.  That way next time you need a vehicle, you tell them what you want and will pay, not the other way around.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 7
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Shogun, thanks for the advice and thanks to the other that contributed. I will be more straightforward next time and I wont be so desperate. I will pay 2,500 around tax time and then pay 500 a month til it's paid in full.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.