Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How car buying SHOULD be

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

How car buying SHOULD be

I've never been able to be on the high leverage side of an auto buying purchase. I've always been at the mercy of the dealer due to my credit and typically upside down on my trade.

Well, this has all changed.

I've paid cash for my last 3 cars spanning over a 10 year period and the time finally came where I need to suck it up and go out and lease a brand new car where I would no longer be burdened with maintainence (I like working on my own cars, but I have no garage to due to work in and $100/hr labor rates are insane when you know how to do the work yourself) cost that come randomly.

So last Friday my battery ($338 ($500 from the dealer) and Altenator $500 + $270 labor + 9.25% tax)) died and though my extended warranty would have covered the alt, I had enough.  I shot an email to all the local dealerships (Kia, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Hyundai) and told them exactly what my car leasing terms would be ($0 down, no trade, and payments at or below $199/mo(T/T/T included) for 36mo w/ 12k miles/yr allowance.

I let them all know I was emailing their competition and those that could meet my terms on paper (email) I would run credit with to show my honest intent to do buisness with them (and I knew my credit would be my leverage). Nissan, Hyundai, and Kia replied immediatley.  VW did later.  They all submitted their offers and only Nissan and Hyundai were able to get close to $200/mo (NIssan $207/mo on a 2015 Prius C and Hyundai $199/mo on a 2016 Elantra or 2015 Sonata).  I ran credit with both of them and heard back immdiately that all had been approved.

I set appointments for Sat am at Nissan and 12noon with Hyundai. 

Showed up at Nissan didn't like the Prius and subsquently the Corrolla they then tried to deal me.  I left for Hyundai but not before the GSM came out and asked "how can I earn your business today..." 

Showed up to Hyundai and shortly after my arrival I walked out with a 2015 Sonata for $180.94/mo (T/T/T included)

My credit was the only reason this was possible. I held all the control and the dealers knew and respected my position. They will make money on fiancing and I'll save money on labor.

Win/Win.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How car buying SHOULD be

Congrats on the new car and owning a Hyundai.  History's most reliable car.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Your story is very, very inspiring!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing a deal with good credit is night and day from the experience when you have subprime credit.  Congrats.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.