cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long are auto loan pre-approvals valid?

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

How long are auto loan pre-approvals valid?

I'm thinking about buying a car, but I'm not sure when the car that I want is going to be available.  I'm looking for a used Toyota Highlander Hybrid with some specific features, including a 3rd row seat and leather seats.  These don't come up very often.

I'd like to get pre-approved for financing before working with the dealers.  Does anyone know how long the pre-approvals are good for?  It could take several weeks before the right car shows up on a lot.

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long are auto loan pre-approvals valid?

Having a pre-approval is "NOT" a guarantee for approval.
Message 2 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Let me rephrase, then.  If I apply for an auto loan prior to purchase AND get approved, how long does this approval typically last?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most pre-aprovals seem to be good for about 30 days.

Message 4 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Just called PenFed - they said that the approval is good for 90 days.  I should be able to find a car in that time.
Message 5 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

SSFCU is 60 days.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 7
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Cap 1 is 45 days and Roadloans is 30 days.
*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.