cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before a lender asks: Where's my lien?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

How long before a lender asks: Where's my lien?

A strange question to ask, but I thought perhaps someone has had paperwork snafus and it took awhile for a lender to get notice of their lien on a car title, so: Does anyone know how long it is before a lender questions Where is our lien?
I bought a 2016 used car from a car dealer in Tucson on 9/1/17, and 9 weeks later I still don't have an AZ title or permanent registration. I'm able to legally drive it as Arizona permits as resident lacking "complete documentation" for an AZ title to obtain a 90 temp registration, so I'm good to 1/18/18, and have it fully insured.
The dealer claims they took the car as a trade-in in July and the customer has Kansas plates & registration but didn't have the title so they've been trying to get a dupe title from the state of Kansas. There's alot that's fishy about their story, but that's something for another topic in another forum. They're one of the larger dealers in the state with multiple new car dealerships, so I'm not worried about losing my money. Their standing offer is to return the car for full refund, but I really prefer to keep the car, I just want a title, and they claim they will get me the title, just be patient.

My bigger concern is that at some point DCU will question where is their lien, and if it can't be produced in a timely fashion they will declare the loan in default and demand payment in full. If that happened I'd have no choice but to return the car, use the refund to payoff DCU, and start the car buying process all over. The dealer initially financed the loan with a Tucson credit union at which I am a member, but I transferred the loan to DCU in mid October for a better rate & terms. So DCU has had the loan about 3 weeks. The first payment is due 11/17 which of course I will make.

Anyone have any idea how long I have to get the lien to DCU?

Edit - Finally got the title & registration yesterday, 2 1/2 months after buying it. A load off my mind . . .
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: How long before a lender asks: Where's my lien?

If anyone is curious it took Digital Credit Union around 6 weeks to ask "Where's my lien?"

I transferred the loan to DCU mid October and the end of November they sent me a message & mailer asking about the title/lien. The dealer finally transferred the title & registration to my name Nov. 14, 2 1/2 months after my 9/1 purchase. So I called the Tucson CU that originally had the loan and they told me they had sent a release of lien & transfer to DCU 11/3, so I explained the dealer didn't transfer the title to me until 11/14. She put me on hold for a minute and then came back & told me they just submitted a new lien release and DCU should get their lien in a week or two. I called in and informed DCU of this and they were fine with it.

Message 2 of 3
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long before a lender asks: Where's my lien?

It took the dealer a while to get me my MSO for my new vehicle back in September as they had to ask Ford for a replacement.  Got a letter from PenFed about 6 weeks after purchase asking for registration stating lien holder or interest rate was going to be moved to the max allowed.  

Needless to say that I finally got my MSO, registered my card, and mailed them a copy of the lien...which was almost a waste of time because I decided a week after to just pay it off.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.