cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of a bump or decrease can I expect to see with new car loan?

tag
Nettieinva
Valued Member

How much of a bump or decrease can I expect to see with new car loan?

I have 2 CC's with low limits and 1 store card open. I'm hoping with the new TL of an auto loan ill get a bit of a bump in time. Any idea how long it could be as well?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: How much of a bump or decrease can I expect to see with new car loan?

How old are your cards?

My score went up the first time my auto loan reported.

It will help your score in time, just get it paid down as fast as you can.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 11
Nettieinva
Valued Member

Thanks Distink. They are a couple months old. I have a longer history some with really good lines and others not as good. I have seen a bump in getting the cards and paying down others that were closed. Why pay down the balance as fast as I can? DTI?
Message 3 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Nettieinva wrote:
Thanks Distink. They are a couple months old. I have a longer history some with really good lines and others not as good. I have seen a bump in getting the cards and paying down others that were closed. Why pay down the balance as fast as I can? DTI?

It creates equity in the vehicle and reduces your interest charges.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 11
Nettieinva
Valued Member

Oh ok yeah that. Lol! I thought t was something in regards to the credit score.
Message 5 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Nettieinva wrote:
Oh ok yeah that. Lol! I thought t was something in regards to the credit score.

Making saving money the top priority and credit score the second, unless you are looking at a mortgage app soon. 

Message 6 of 11
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Keep in mind, probably 98% of the car loans out there are on amortization scedule. Initially, a large portion of each payment is loyal/given to interest; as the loan matures, larger portions go towards paying down the principal. By the time you make your final payment, almost all will go toward principle and a very small amount goes to interest.

example: $12,000 loan @ 3.6% for 5-years

1st years interest: $406.51

2nd year: $322.73

3rd year: $235.80

4th year: $145.60

5th year: $52.01

total interest: $1,162

total interest first TWO years alone: $729.24 compared to $433.41 for your FINAL THREE years

1st months payment looks like this: $182.38 principle / $37 interest

last payment (60th month) looks like this: $218.70 principle / $0.67 interest

Its not a terriably big deal on a low-interest car loan, but on high interest loan, or a long-term loan like a Mortgage for example - you are paying A LOT into interest.

Its one of the biggest secretes banks have, so don't be "that guy" that brags about paying is car loan off 1 year early... he already paid most of the interest Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Volpes wrote:

Keep in mind, probably 98% of the car loans out there are on amortization scedule. Initially, a large portion of each payment is loyal/given to interest; as the loan matures, larger portions go towards paying down the principal. By the time you make your final payment, almost all will go toward principle and a very small amount goes to interest.

@example: $12,000 loan @ 3.6% for 5-years

1st years interest: $406.51

2nd year: $322.73

3rd year: $235.80

4th year: $145.60

5th year: $52.01

total interest: $1,162

total interest first TWO years alone: $729.24 compared to $433.41 for your FINAL THREE years

1st months payment looks like this: $182.38 principle / $37 interest

last payment (60th month) looks like this: $218.70 principle / $0.67 interest

Its not a terriably big deal on a low-interest car loan, but on high interest loan, or a long-term loan like a Mortgage for example - you are paying A LOT into interest.

Its one of the biggest secretes banks have, so don't be "that guy" that brags about paying is car loan off 1 year early... he already paid most of the interest Smiley LOL

If the guy gets the car paid off one year early by paying 5-10k towards principal in the first year... then he's actually ahead of the system Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Just simply put, you pay interest on what you owe. So, when you owe more you pay more. You pay less interest at the end of a loan because you are borrowing less money.

Any payment above the interest charge goes towards principle.

Message 9 of 11
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Sorry, just trying to help. A lot of people don't know you pay more interest at the beginning of the loan. Not just because you owe more.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.