cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of a hit will a auto loan take on your FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much of a hit will a auto loan take on your FICO?

This may sound dumb, but I was wondering how much of a hit in your FICO you would take when getting a auto loan. I mean I know it will bounce back, back it just seems like all this hard work of pulling up my FICO, I dont want to see them drop. How much of of your FICO score is from installment UTIL if any at all?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much of a hit will a auto loan take on your FICO?

I'm going to guess that possible answers to this are all over the place, depending on what's on your report already.

I can tell you that DH's score took a two point hit with opening an auto loan, going from 762 to 760.

The inquiry didn't affect his score at all, but he already had six inquiries - so that (very minor) damage had already been done.

He had paid off his only installment (2nd mortgage) two months earlier.  There was no score hit when he closed that only installment.

So the car loan brought an installment back into his mix.  It's still reporting at 100% of the balance, even though we've made payments.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.  YMMV - or probably more accurately - YMWV.Smiley Very Happy

The score simulator, by the way, estimated a potentially much larger hit - so we were a little worried. 

Good luck figuring out what will work best for you!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks for the input. Does installent loans effect your AAoA or only revolving accounts? This is my biggest fear in which would drop my score. I just want to stay in the 700s, as long as I am in the range ill be fine with it.
Message 3 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

everything on your reports affects your AAoA
Message 4 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Don't be FICO score poor where your are afraid to use credit for fear your score will drop.  Enjoy the new car and your scores will rebound if they drop.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

marty56 wrote: Don't be FICO score poor where your are afraid to use credit for fear your score will drop.  Enjoy the new car and your scores will rebound if they drop.

Well said.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point marty56, your right. Thanks.
Message 7 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Don't be FICO score poor where your are afraid to use credit for fear your score will drop.  Enjoy the new car and your scores will rebound if they drop.

Marty56, you don't say a heck of a lot when you post, but I guess you don't have to...everything you do say is right on target!

Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

LOL now if I could only get poeple to listen to me at work.

Honestly I was acting FICO score poor when I wanted a new car last year and one look at the Lancer at the dealer made me forget that there was even a FICO score.  Also I dont know what I was more afraid of - my FICO score going down or being rejected on the car.  IMHO it was the latter.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.