Frequent Contributor
dabrian

Re: How to buy a car (for the first time buyer).

Ty very much for creating this thread.  You have posted tons of great information here that any potential car buyer should read.

Please Mods sticky this thread.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k, Amex BCP-8k, Amex Costco-1.2k,CSP-8k, Freedom-5k, Discover IT-11k,NCSECU-5k,Walmart-10k,Lowes-8.5k
Contributor
supersam101

[ Edited ]
You guys need to check out this website. www.truecar.com/
My aunt used it before and the dealer beat the websites price.
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Established Contributor
SamsungHDTV

supersam101 wrote:

Well once the dealer beats the website price, always have another dealer beat the first dealer. And then you have them beating themselves until one drops out.

I'm a personal banker and do a lot of auto loans serving the Houston area.
I suggest first time car buyers to read the sticky guide in the auto loan section.
I try to check these forums often, but if I missed your post, please feel free to message me with a link to it.
Regular Contributor
Volpes

[ Edited ]

<snip>

nice thread though

Valued Contributor
Dustink

[ Edited ]

SamsungHDTV wrote:

supersam101 wrote:

Well once the dealer beats the website price, always have another dealer beat the first dealer. And then you have them beating themselves until one drops out.

Haha, that is what I did with like 10 dealers. Ended up with the dealer nearest my house being able to offer the best deal. Likely because they think I will go to them for service.

Negotiating the trade online can be difficult. A salesperson will tell you anything to get you in, but they are generally not the one who values the trade.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Regular Contributor
GetTheFico

Great post, bookmarked!

This will come in handy early next year.

EQ: 703, TU: 702, EX: 648

NFCU cashRewards, Discover it, Chase IHG, Barclay Arrival, AmEx BCE, Barclay Sallie Mae
Contributor
jorgevazquez87

SamsungHDTV, excellent post! I'm starting to plan my first purchase of a car and this post helps alot for first time buyers!
Regular Contributor
Siopao

Thanks SamsunHDTV!

Very informative post.  I'm actually shopping for a car.  I already emailed about 5 dealerships.  I've only been in contact with 2 out of those 5.  It seems the other 2 had some auto response email basically telling me to call.  I tried to reply to those, but no go.  The 5th just called.

The car I was looking at is the Kia Optima SXL which MSRP's for about 35k.  I got one dealership down to $29,305 + TTL.  But that also included some incentives ($1500 competivie car and $500 Kia financing).  I searched around and found that this is pretty close to the lowest I've found others buying this particular trim.  

My question is, how do I get the dealer to give me this quote in an email so I don't get shafted when I get there?  

Starting Score: 660 (BK discharged 2/2012)
Current Score: 684 - EQ | 679 - EX (Lender pull)
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: NFCU Flagship Signature 14k | NFCU cashRewards 1K | NavCheck 15k | Barclays US Air 2.1k | Merrick 1.4k | Credit One 550 | Cap One 750 | Last app 5.5.2013
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Dustink

That looks like a good quote.

Tell the dealer you are comparing quotes and you want a break down of it in an email.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Regular Contributor
Siopao

Dustink wrote:

That looks like a good quote.

Tell the dealer you are comparing quotes and you want a break down of it in an email.

Thanks Dustink!

I will give it a shot.  It seems like the two others that have responded to me won't even get near that price.  So either something fishy is going on with that dealer, or it's just a smokin' deal.

Starting Score: 660 (BK discharged 2/2012)
Current Score: 684 - EQ | 679 - EX (Lender pull)
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: NFCU Flagship Signature 14k | NFCU cashRewards 1K | NavCheck 15k | Barclays US Air 2.1k | Merrick 1.4k | Credit One 550 | Cap One 750 | Last app 5.5.2013
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+