cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to buy a car (for the first time buyer).

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: How to buy a car (for the first time buyer).

@Siopao wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

That looks like a good quote.

Tell the dealer you are comparing quotes and you want a break down of it in an email.

Thanks Dustink!

I will give it a shot.  It seems like the two others that have responded to me won't even get near that price.  So either something fishy is going on with that dealer, or it's just a smokin' deal.

Each of the other dealers will tell you they can't touch that price because that other dealer is ripping you off in another way. Which may or may not be the case. The only way to find out is to read the contract carefully in person. By the time the contract is made up, it is hard to back out from the psychological stress of the deal. Do you have a trade in, are you buying a warranty, do you have your own financing?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Nope, no trade in.  No warranty has been discussed.  As far as financing, I plan on leasing with Kia, but I didn't mention that to the dealer.  I won't tell the dealer that I'm leasing until I see that bottom line price on paper.  I may apply with NFCU to see what kind of numbers I can get with them, but I would much rather lease.

I'm not in any rush to purchase since I still have my old car and she's running fine.  I just need another car since my GF will be using my old one.

Message 22 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Siopao wrote:

Nope, no trade in.  No warranty has been discussed.  As far as financing, I plan on leasing with Kia, but I didn't mention that to the dealer.  I won't tell the dealer that I'm leasing until I see that bottom line price on paper.  I may apply with NFCU to see what kind of numbers I can get with them, but I would much rather lease.

I'm not in any rush to purchase since I still have my old car and she's running fine.  I just need another car since my GF will be using my old one.

Why a Kia?

Sometimes it is cheaper to lease a Japanese car because they tend to hold their value better.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 23 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

I would much rather have a Japanese car, but my tastes get in the way.  I would rather have an Infiniti G37 or Lexus IS350, but the lease deals aren't as great and I don't want a car payment over $300 right now.  I'm not too much into Honda.  I do like the new Subaru BRZ / Scion FRS, but I need a little more space in the car right now.

Also, I'm a gadget freak and love my electronics.  So I like and appreciate the not so important features that come with the Kia.  Like brake assist, or even how when you flick the blinker, they will flash 3 times like the Audi's do.  It's my weakness I know.  

So for now, I'm just on a tighter budget, but things will change in 3 years for me.  That's when I can afford a larger monthly payment and put a nice amount down on an acutal luxury vehicle purchase.  This is why I'm only leasing the Kia.  Who knows, maybe I'll keep it in the end.  But for now, I'm not planning on it.

Message 24 of 32
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Siopao wrote:

I would much rather have a Japanese car, but my tastes get in the way.  I would rather have an Infiniti G37 or Lexus IS350, but the lease deals aren't as great and I don't want a car payment over $300 right now.  I'm not too much into Honda.  I do like the new Subaru BRZ / Scion FRS, but I need a little more space in the car right now.

Also, I'm a gadget freak and love my electronics.  So I like and appreciate the not so important features that come with the Kia.  Like brake assist, or even how when you flick the blinker, they will flash 3 times like the Audi's do.  It's my weakness I know.  

So for now, I'm just on a tighter budget, but things will change in 3 years for me.  That's when I can afford a larger monthly payment and put a nice amount down on an acutal luxury vehicle purchase.  This is why I'm only leasing the Kia.  Who knows, maybe I'll keep it in the end.  But for now, I'm not planning on it.

I'm like you, I like my gagets and electronics. I love the not so important features too. I just bought a 2013 honda accord. 

Not so important features:

Push to start (probably my favorite)

Rear view camera

Lane watch (camera showing blind spot)

Moon roof

Smart entry system

Blue tooth

VGA screen

Dual climate

SMS text function

The higher trims have:

16 GB hard drive to store music (awesome but I didnt get that trim)

Lane departure warning

Adaptive cruise control (slows you down if you get too close to car ahead)

*Other features that I cannot remember but these are ones i wanted but didnt want to pay for

Message 25 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Siopao wrote:

You can get anything for $300 per month, just need to put money down. 

Message 26 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

I'm like you, I like my gagets and electronics. I love the not so important features too. I just bought a 2013 honda accord. 

Rear view camera

Moon roof

Smart entry system

Blue tooth

VGA screen

Dual climate

SMS text function

The higher trims have:

Lane departure warning

*Other features that I cannot remember but these are ones i wanted but didnt want to pay for

Wow those are some nice features!!!  Can I ask how much the price of the car was before TTL?  

Message 27 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

You can get anything for $300 per month, just need to put money down. 

You are most certianly correct!  But that's the thing, I don't want to put too much down right now.  I still need to build my emergency fund up!

Message 28 of 32
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Siopao wrote:

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

Rear view camera

Moon roof

Smart entry system

Blue tooth

VGA screen

Dual climate

SMS text function

The higher trims have:

Lane departure warning

Wow those are some nice features!!!  Can I ask how much the price of the car was before TTL?  

MSRP $25,405 (without TTL and illuminated door sill add-on)

My price $23,904.57 with the add-on that retailed for $300. 

Total $25,700 with TTL 

Honda.com and explore the features. Accords have come a long way, I know beause its my 3rd Accord! lol

I forgot to mention HID headlights, awesome for looks! Not so important feature lol.

Message 29 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Hmm...  I may have to give Honda another look.  Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.