Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am feeling confident of a refinance in April 2014

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

I am feeling confident of a refinance in April 2014

I don't have any questions but I just wanted to share what I have come up with just in case someone might be in a similar situation.

Okay, I have asked questions before concerning my car loan refinancing. I will being going through a CU. I called up one near my home and I told them I am not a member but was wondering if I could still refinance my car. The woman on the other end said yes and when I do I will automatically become a member. She then asked me who is my finance company and I told her Santander. She asked for the year, make, model and mileage of my car. I told her 2012 Chevy Impala LTZ with about 37300 miles. The car blue booked at 17500 which was a shock to me because when I went to kbb they said the trade in value of my car is only about 14000. I guess they use a different system. She then asked how much do I owe. I told her 20300. She said I will need to come with about $3000 to eat up the negative equity because they will not re-finance for more than what my car is worth. I was fine with that. 

So far I have made 4 on time payments on the car and I want to refinance in April. I should have about 4000 saved by then and based on the math I did my principal amount should be between $19300-19800. I know my car will have over 40k miles by then but hopefully that $4000 will help out with the equity. My new principle will be over $15000 and if I get a 5% interest my payments will be between 250-275 a month depending on if I continue from 65 months or 72 months. My current payments are 429 @13.69%. I hope to have the car paid off by the end of 2015 anyways but by refinancing it will make it much easier. 

Of course this is assuming I get approved from them. I may still get turned down and if I do it won't be a big deal for me since I will still have $4000. I just got approved from Citibank on a diamond preferred card so this is why I feel so confident now Smiley Very Happy 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: I am feeling confident of a refinance in April 2014

I think the real questions are - why did you receive a rate so high to begin with?  what did your credit profile look like?  how has it changed so quickly?  why in 4 months tim would expect to get a 4% loan when you just got close to 14%?

There are more questions than anything with your situation.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 3
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Re: I am feeling confident of a refinance in April 2014

My refinance will be completed tomorrow from Santander. I was happy to get a loan at the time from them., but even more happy to leave them. But it took me a little over a year to get the refi after I tried a few places previously. So you may want to wait on not go for the hard pull on your credit.
*on a side note I had 2 impalas and they are great cars. After this refi on my Malibu im going in for another impala in a year.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.