Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can help, I manage a car dealership.

tag
UpNComing
Established Contributor

I can help, I manage a car dealership.

I have close to 17 years experience in the car business and have been running dealership sales departments for close to ten years.  Dealerships have earned a very bad reputation for good reason.  But keep in mind we're not all bad.  I can get pretty busy at times and I may not get right back to you, but I'll answer your questions as quickly as I can Smiley Wink 

P.S.  Keep in mind that many things will vary by your area, especially used car values.  I can only make an educated guess based on the current market as a whole.  It's best when asking about a used car or your trade value to include your location in your question.  Thanks!

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 1 of 897
896 REPLIES 896
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: I Can Help, I Run A Car Dealership.

@UpNComing wrote:

I have been staying on the credit card side of myFICO forums since 2008.  I guess I should offer my expertise to anyone that needs it since I've spent the last 16 years in the car business and currently run a sales department of a car dealership

I'd be interested in hearing your comments on this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/I-have-financing-lined-up-but-the-dealer-wants-to-run-cre...

Message 2 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@UpNComing wrote:

I have been staying on the credit card side of myFICO forums since 2008.  I guess I should offer my expertise to anyone that needs it since I've spent the last 16 years in the car business and currently run a sales department of a car dealership

I'd be interested in hearing your comments on this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/I-have-financing-lined-up-but-the-dealer-wants-to-run-cre...

Funny you bring that one up.  I read through that thread the other day.  I'm not sure what state the dealer is in but I would bet they are pressing the legal envelope with that one.  Unfortunately dealers have earned the reputation that haunts them.  This sounds like a typical highway dealer that preys upon their customers.  The fact is your response was correct.  The dealer wanted to shop his loan because the dealer will profit from it.  Even if the dealer does not make any points on the loan they will receive a flat commission depending on the amount financed from the financing company.  I'm sure if the dealer had disclosed the reason for their request he would have welcomed the competition for his loan.

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Message 3 of 897
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I've purchased at least 40 vehicles, cars and light trucks, all new with the exception of 1 used "certified" GM car last July. What I typically do is show up with pre-approved financing in hand with a letter from my bank or CU showing the loan terms. I want the dealer to make money financing my purchase and that's exactly what I say to the dealer. Beat this financing and you'll get the financing, if you can't beat it I'm still a "good" buyer for the car because financing is not an issue. I'd say 50% of the time the dealer can get the deal bought cheaper, so be it he wins I win.

The deal I made last July, the dealer beat my financing quote by 0.74% (but then he tried to add in Gap Insurance to the tune of $795, gotta love F&I for trying). I keep my keys in my pocket and I don't sign anything until we have a deal. Car dealers can be real b*ll breakers or they can be easy, I don't know why so many think short term sales over long term repeat sales. Easiest car I ever bought was an Acura, I took in a good (low) quote from another dealer (internet email) and I had a preapproved financing offer from PenFed CU. Told the dealer "beat this price and you have a sale, beat the financing and you can have that too". They beat the price by $50 (it was a good quote) but they couldn't beat the financing. We were in and out of that dealer with a new Acura in less than an hour.

No car business has a million plus dollar showroom with 50+ people on staff selling inventory at less than cost, I understand that very well. Just don't BS me so much I know you are lying, that's all I'm saying.

Thanks for getting back to me on that other thread !

Message 4 of 897
spengbab
Regular Contributor

I've read in a car buying book that when a dealer gets an offer back from banks, that usually they will add a little bit to the APR that was approved. E.g., if a dealer sent apps and got back an APR of 4.7%, they will say that I'm approved for an APR of 5.7% (or any amount higher than the approved APR) ... is that true?

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 5 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@spengbab wrote:

I've read in a car buying book that when a dealer gets an offer back from banks, that usually they will add a little bit to the APR that was approved. E.g., if a dealer sent apps and got back an APR of 4.7%, they will say that I'm approved for an APR of 5.7% (or any amount higher than the approved APR) ... is that true?

Yes it is.  Depending on the term of the loan and the lender, the dealer can add as much as 2.5 points to a loan.

Message 6 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@UpNComing wrote:

@spengbab wrote:

Yes it is.  Depending on the term of the loan and the lender, the dealer can add as much as 2.5 points to a loan.

This seems so shady!!!  By the way, do you do sales on new or used vehicles, and which brand do you primarily work with?  Also, what do dealerships really think of "Cash" buyers....  if you are buying with cash, wire from bank or something similar.... is it best to keep this information to yourself until after you've haggled the price?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

This seems so shady!!!  By the way, do you do sales on new or used vehicles, and which brand do you primarily work with?  Also, what do dealerships really think of "Cash" buyers....  if you are buying with cash, wire from bank or something similar.... is it best to keep this information to yourself until after you've haggled the price?

Hi webhopper!  I am a General Sales Manager for a VW dealership.  We sell both new and used.

Although dealers do more than their fair share of shady things, this one is on the up and up.  Loans are another profit center for a dealer.  They are able to secure financing for less than a customer that walks into a bank for the same loan.  This allows the dealer to pass on the financing and still make a profit without any adverse effects on the customer.  Again, this practice can be abused by an unscrupulous dealer, but banks in almost all cases only allow 2.5 points at max.

Cash is King is an outdated idea when it comes to buying a car.  As I mentioned before dealers make more money when you finance.  In most cases the dealer does prefer you finance.  Not telling the dealer how you want to purchase your vehicle may hinder them from giving you a correct quote since rebates and incentives change between cash and financing terms.  Most manufacturers will offer you special rate financing or cash incentives.  Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 897
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

@UpNComing wrote:

@spengbab wrote:

It's no different than a mortgage broker: they get you the mortgage, they get paid by the lender, and the cost somehow or another gets borne by you the consumer.

If I can get a loan from a bank for 20.7% (Roadloans), and in my case the dealer could get a loan for 16.85% and tack on 2.5% (which they may have done in my case) bringing me to 19.35% < 20.7%, why on earth am I going to complain that the dealer took a cut out of it?  They got me a better deal, I'm absolutely fine with their making some money off it if I couldn't have gotten that on my own... and I tried in this case.  Might've done better with a CU I used to use, but meh, live and learn, they have a shot to refinance me in another 4 months Smiley Happy.

        
Message 9 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@UpNComing wrote:

@spengbab wrote:

It's no different than a mortgage broker: they get you the mortgage, they get paid by the lender, and the cost somehow or another gets borne by you the consumer.

If I can get a loan from a bank for 20.7% (Roadloans), and in my case the dealer could get a loan for 16.85% and tack on 2.5% (which they may have done in my case) bringing me to 19.35% < 20.7%, why on earth am I going to complain that the dealer took a cut out of it?  They got me a better deal, I'm absolutely fine with their making some money off it if I couldn't have gotten that on my own... and I tried in this case.  Might've done better with a CU I used to use, but meh, live and learn, they have a shot to refinance me in another 4 months Smiley Happy.

I just used a mortgage broker, and they got me a 4.375% rate, of which is great!!  I had to pay in the discount points, which is their profit, but the $$ I paid in more than pays for itself for that 0.5% reduced rate on a 20 yr 175k loan....     I just hate when Dealerships try to screw the customer!  I've experienced this in the past, and now, I'm at the point where I just work with one dealership.... 

My dealership of choice hooked me up with Credit Union financing which was half of what Ford Motor was offering.     I think the problem lies with dealerships who aren't looking at a long term relationship with the customer, they are looking at their short term bottom line more than repeat business.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 897
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.