Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can help, I manage a car dealership.

tag
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Re: I Can Help, I Run A Car Dealership.

@Revelate wrote:

It's no different than a mortgage broker: they get you the mortgage, they get paid by the lender, and the cost somehow or another gets borne by you the consumer.

If I can get a loan from a bank for 20.7% (Roadloans), and in my case the dealer could get a loan for 16.85% and tack on 2.5% (which they may have done in my case) bringing me to 19.35% < 20.7%, why on earth am I going to complain that the dealer took a cut out of it?  They got me a better deal, I'm absolutely fine with their making some money off it if I couldn't have gotten that on my own... and I tried in this case.  Might've done better with a CU I used to use, but meh, live and learn, they have a shot to refinance me in another 4 months Smiley Happy.

Bingo!

CapOne is great for refis too Revelate!

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 11 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I just used a mortgage broker, and they got me a 4.375% rate, of which is great!!  I had to pay in the discount points, which is their profit, but the $$ I paid in more than pays for itself for that 0.5% reduced rate on a 20 yr 175k loan....     I just hate when Dealerships try to screw the customer!  I've experienced this in the past, and now, I'm at the point where I just work with one dealership.... 

My dealership of choice hooked me up with Credit Union financing which was half of what Ford Motor was offering.     I think the problem lies with dealerships who aren't looking at a long term relationship with the customer, they are looking at their short term bottom line more than repeat business.

+1

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Message 12 of 897
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

HelloSmiley Happy

I am wondering what is the best strategy to go about talking down the price on a car? If I wanted say 2k knocked off the price, is that asking too much?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 13 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@currentlywinning wrote:

HelloSmiley Happy

I am wondering what is the best strategy to go about talking down the price on a car? If I wanted say 2k knocked off the price, is that asking too much?

Depends.  Detials?

Message 14 of 897
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Welp, where do I begin? LOL!

The cars range from 15500-16900. I can put maybe 3500-4500 down although depending on what they offer me as a sales price that will vary.

Is this too aggressive?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 15 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@currentlywinning wrote:

The cars range from 15500-16900. I can put maybe 3500-4500 down although depending on what they offer me as a sales price that will vary.

Is this too aggressive?

Still need to be more specific.  For example, if you are purchasing a used vehicle than 2000 would not be out of question.  If you are purchasing a new vehicle the profit margin drops greatly.

Message 16 of 897
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

My apologies for being vague...

Yes the cars are all used. Ranging from 2008-2010. One of them is certified used and th others I am looking at are not. Two are Chevy Malibu's (SEXY!) and the other is a Jeep Patriot which is kinda sexy and tough all in oneSmiley Tongue

Message 17 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

So basically if I want to pay cash for a car, work with my dealership and let them know up front before they give me a quote. My dealership of choice deals in ford, Lincoln, mercury, and Volvo. My next vehicle will likely be a Volvo or ford small to mid size sedan/ gently used...

Are upscale dealerships more experienced with dealing with cash customers? I'd also be interested in other cars like Mercedes and BMW, and if I decided to go that way, then I can get my salesman of choice to hook me up with a lease return or a 2 yr old trade in or something like that...

In the used arena do most dealerships have the ability to get you what you want if you give them like a 6 month window before you are ready to purchase?

Background:  I've used this dealership for service back when I drove a vehicle owned by the company. My salesman of choice is a retired American Airlines worker, he calls me every year on my car's anniversary LOL  I've bought both a car and a truck from him over the last 3 yrs and I feel as though I was treated fairly with financing, and they didn't play a lot of the games I had experienced in the past with car shopping.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@currentlywinning wrote:

My apologies for being vague...

Yes the cars are all used. Ranging from 2008-2010. One of them is certified used and th others I am looking at are not. Two are Chevy Malibu's (SEXY!) and the other is a Jeep Patriot which is kinda sexy and tough all in oneSmiley Tongue

Then $2000 isn't overly aggressive at all.  But I wouldn't approach it that way.  Do your research online to see what the car should be selling for.  Edmunds, Cars dot com and other places to see what the fair value of the car is.  Look at similar vehicles to see what they are priced at to gauge where you should be.  Remember information is your best weapon! Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 897
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@currentlywinning wrote:

Is this too aggressive?

Maybe, maybe not ~ you should base your price on the value of the vehicle, including its condition and options.   The value is negotiable within a certain range ~ use Kelly Blue Book or similar to establish what you feel is a reasonable price and use that as a basis for negotiating.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 20 of 897
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.