Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't believe they approved me!

tag
cp94550
Regular Contributor

I can't believe they approved me!

I'll apologize in advance... this is a bit of a brag post Smiley Wink.  

My wife and I had our first child just a little over a week ago.  We had been talking about buying a small SUV/Crossover type vehicle as we both currently drive Honda Civic 2 door coupes.  After a week of trying to lug a carseat in and out, plus fit the stroller and all the baby stuff, I was pretty fed up.  

I called my CU and applied for an auto loan.  They called me back and said that they could not approve me because of "excessive obligations" and "recent delinquency."  I explained the baddies on my report and they said to call back when those were cleared up and they would reevaluate.  

As for the baddies/credit history - I joined these forums about a year ago.  My credit score was a 560.  I had a handful of collections, medical collection, excessive lates on my SL's, defaulted on a few other student loans.  I did lots of work, got quite a few deletes, did a few PFD, and worked on rehabing my SL's (which I learned about on these forums!  THANK YOU!).  I even opened up to secured CC's and was approved for an unsecured $500 limit.  Things started to go up, then they dropped down to 530 and I've been building back up since.  

I spoke to a family member about the denial and she offered to cosign.  We were scheduled to go out the following weekend to "seal the deal."  I decided to go out and look at some cars this past weekend and fell in love with the CR-V.  I found a 2012 Honda CR-V EX and it had the space we needed plus a few extra perks that I wanted.  Since I had already had my CU pull my credit, I knew it wouldn't hurt me to have Honda pull it and see what they could do for me.  I told Honda the payment amount I was looking for and that I didn't want an outrageous APR as I could just come back the next weekend with a highly qualified cosigner and get something better.

They ran the numbers, came back, told me the payments, terms, APR, etc., and to my surprise they somehow qualified me for 4.49% with American Honda Finance.  My Equifax score is a 578 and my Auto Enhanced score is a 601.  I'm completely baffled.  I was able to get the car I wanted ( I would have been happy with the lower LX model, but they lowered the price to make it work), a car payment $5 below my max (hahha.. not much, but it's something), and the APR of someone with far better credit.

2012 Honda CR-V(not my actual car)

Edit:  Double posted image.

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: I can't believe they approved me!

Congrats

Message 2 of 12
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Congratulations!  That is a very nice ride, and at a great interest rate, too!  When I was car-shopping, the CR-V was on my list to look at.  I used to be partial to Toyotas, but I much prefer the look of the CR-V over the Rav4.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I like. So did you actually end up needing to use your co-signor??

Message 4 of 12
cp94550
Regular Contributor

No co-sign required! All on my own. I still can't get over the APR.

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Nice purchase, great rate.   Congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 12
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the vehicle and the rate.

Message 8 of 12
patternofstars7
Contributor

Congrats! We're twins cause I just a loan as well and am getting the CRV EX-L! Love the car and can't wait to pick up this friday!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!!   Maybe it was your HUGE down payment, or, your large annual income that sealed the deal? 

Whatever made Honda approve you -- you have received a great blessing for you and your family! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.