cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have financing lined up, but the dealer wants to run credit app?

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: I have financing lined up, but the dealer wants to run credit app?

The post saying that any transaction above $9999 must be reported to the IRS is not understanding the IRS regulation. For clarity, here are the reporting requirements (as it applies to cash or money orders - not personal checks or bank checks from a bank or CU loan).  Referring to a loan from a CU as "cash" is a misnomer at best. The CU has their own checks they run through. Read the link below for IRS specifics.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/FAQs-Regarding-Reporting-Cash-Payment...

As posted multiple times above, there is no requirement to pull credit for the OFAC check. That is the dealership trying to shop your loan.

EDIT:  Here is a link from Edmonds discussing how the dealerships DO NOT have to run your credit for the OFAC check. 

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/car-dealership-credit-report-scams-and-the-patriot-act.html

Message 31 of 36
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OFAC check or Hard Pull is needed 

Your own words.  When I recently purchased a vehicle and used my credit union the dealer did run an OFAC check but never a credit report.  By the way that was in CA.  

Message 32 of 36
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

I was just approved for a car loan today with NFCU to which I will probably use and therefore become a cash buyer. I am appalled at what I read in this post and I for one will swiftly walk out of any dealership that tells me they HAVE to pull my credit. Not going to happen out of pure principal. Patriot Act my foot.  F#$% that.  Totally rediculous.  Im so glad I ran across this post.  Thanks to all for the info and links.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 33 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately you don't get to decide what is a legitimate reason.  That is decided for us more and more by people who are wiser than you and me.  Or so they say.

Wiser?! Whoa! Didn't think I was dealing with 3rd grade students here. This is the reason this country is becoming a dump, as you are truly underestimating the power we have. The upatriot act is an act of theivery of our rights, plain and simple. Nothing "patriotic" about it. They use the psychology game on you to make you think that you are doing a patriotic thing to comply to strip you of your rights. 

Message 34 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Let's remember to be respectful in your comments, as to not violate myfico's TOS and User Guidelines.

Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys made me think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSiCEx3e-0

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.