Established Member
davefromca

I have great credit, 25% down on an inexpensive car, but DTI is high....

So I've been working to pay down my debt, and build my credit score over the last 6 months to put my self in a good posistion to buy a new car. I've decided on a Honda Fit long ago due to overall cost of ownership over a decade +, as well as the stadard features and room it comes with.

Although it is a cheaper car, I still expect to pay about 17,700 after its all said and done. I hope to get very good financing (the last Fico score I saw was a 749 EQ) and once I sell my car, I should be able to put at least $4k down. The one thing I'm iffy on is my dti, which is about 37%. I wouldn't mind paying a LITTLE more in interest, but will I even be able to get the second best rates? Or will banks be scared off?

I've never bought something I cant afford, the kicker is I calculated out how much per month my current car costs me to own, and the Fit isn't even that much more expensive, especially since I make semi regular trips to see my family 400 miles away. 

Frequent Contributor
Mike360

Re: I have great credit, 25% down on an inexpensive car, but DTI is high....

You should be fine. Hell i got approvals couple years ago for a loan with 62% DTI. 

~~In my wallet: Best Buy $7500, Dell Preferred $5500, Discover IT $4000, Chase Freedom $3500, Barclays NFL Extra Points $3300, Sears $2800, Bill Me Later $2100, CapOne Platinum $2000, Kohls $1500, Target $200

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+