cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a co-signer on another auto loan, will it affect my ability to get my own loan?

tag
Interceptor2551

I'm a co-signer on another auto loan, will it affect my ability to get my own loan?

I've been a co-signer on my mother's auto loan for a year with a perfect payment history.  She recently was able to buy a new car on her own, and the old loan was zeroed out and closed 2 weeks ago by the CU, but still shows on all of my reports as open.  I'm thinking it will update after the 16th because thats the due date, but I can't wait that long.  I'm ready to apply for an auto loan for myself, but am concerned if I should wait until the other loan updates with correct info or if it doesn't really matter?

My scores are between 653-684, my DTI is below 15% and I'm looking to buy a used for $10K, any suggestions on the best places to apply?  I'm considering a couple local CUs in my area and DCU.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: I'm a co-signer on another auto loan, will it affect my ability to get my own loan?

If anyone has issues with your DTI you can prove the loan is paid off and no bid deal.

Message 2 of 5
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm a co-signer on another auto loan, will it affect my ability to get my own loan?

You should have no issues. Proceed as normal. If anyone asks, tell them exactly what you told us and offer up proof of payment if they want to see it. They won't even bother asking 99% of the time.

Also if you want to take a look at my recommendations on how to negotiate the price of your new car (post 1, intro), here's the guide I wrote up:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Guide-to-Financing-Leasing-and-Refinancing-a-Car/td-p/289...

Message 3 of 5
Interceptor2551

Thank you both!

@Remember0, I definitely read your post on negotiating already. Lots of great info there.

Message 4 of 5
Interceptor2551

I went ahead and submitted apps to my local CU and DCU.  My local CU called this morning and went over some information and they excluded the loan I co-signed for and they still had concerns about my DTI.  I told them that doesn't seem right because I only have 3 credit cards and after I calculated the balances, my DTI was actually about 20%.  They told me it shows I have 4 cards and they were too high and I would need a co-signer.  I called them back to let them know they made a mistake.  They were counting a Home Depot card with a $6500 balance as mine, I had to point out to them that I was just an authorized user on it.  Even after they took that into consideration, they still were requiring me to have a co-signer.

In comes DCU to save the day!  I received a call from them this afternoon and they had only one question about my app and it was regarding the car.  I informed them the account was closed and I had to get a letter from the CU tonight stating that.  I emailed them my last pay stub and and the document from the bank and now I'm good to go.  I joined DCU this afternoon online. I was shocked that instead of actually being a member of one of the designated charities, all you had to say was "yes" you were.  I found this out by accident really, because I was going to join the schools thing for $10, but I forgot my PayPal password since they recently made everyone change them due to the security breach.  Well, I clicked on forgot password on PayPal and I checked my email and noticed I already got an email from the school charity pronouncing my membership and everything.  So a long story short, they don't verify you are actually a member, they only care that you clicked yes.  Interesting!

Some people say they receive instant notices of approved DCU credit cards when they log in to their accounts.  I don't know about that because I have to wait for a pin number to come in the mail before I can log in for the first time.  Going to check out a couple cars I've had my eye on tomorrow.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.