cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going to freeze my equifax report when I app for a car loan.

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to freeze my equifax report when I app for a car loan.

My Equifax score is almost 100 points lower than my Experian and Transunion scores. Very frustrating! I'm going to be buying a car at the end of the month. I've decided to freeze my Equifax score and have them only pull scores that will be approved. Has anyone done this? Plus, my only auto loan isn't being reported on Equifax, so my auto enhanced score is only reflecting on Experian and Transunion. Saves me from the inquiries!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
EddieK
Established Contributor

Re: I'm going to freeze my equifax report when I app for a car loan.

The way you're talking about this is not allowed to be discussed on here.  That being said, I'd go in with a pre-approval from a CU or bank and not let the dealership run my credit at all.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 2 of 9
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Huh? Why would this not be allowed? Whatever. Positive tradelines are not being reported on my Equifax report including my only auto loan. I don't want the added inquiries or them to pull Equifax. I can't get the tradelines reported on Equifax. From what I've read, even if I don't give them permission to pull Equifax, they still can. This hardly sounds like bad practice.

Message 3 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Read the forum TOS.

It's unethical to try to circumvent the system... which is what you are trying to do.

Things like disputing valid derogatory credit info in an effort to get it removed also falls under the same category because disputes are only to be for invalid information.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

In other words, if you want to do it then keep it to yourself. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like others said its not allowed to be dicussed on the forum but you also might only hurt yourself in the end. Some lenders who pull EQ might just deny you since they can't pull your report (Instead of pulling a different report) when if they could of pulled it they might of been able to give you a lower rate then anyone else. I know you said it's 100 points lower but we have no clue what version of our Fico scores the lender will get and it might be on here a 630 but the version the lender pulls will be a 680 (just a example). You just never know! And not all lenders will pull a different report if the one they normally can't be accessed.

Message 6 of 9
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I went to the dealership today and told them the situation. He didn't seem to have a problem only pulling Transunion and Experian. Not sure what the big deal is. The credit bureaus and dealerships are out to make money. My goal is to save money. If only they all played by the same rules, we wouldn't have completely different scores. Doesn't seem unethical to me. I want them to determine my risk based on the credit bureau that has all of my applicable information.

Message 7 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

If I were you I'd work on getting those baddies that are dragging down your EQ score removed.

Then you wouldn't have to worry about freezing reports to get a more favorable credit pull... 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 9
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I had an auto loan and a couple of credit cards/lines that didn't report to Equifax. My student loans will be rehabbed in a couple of months and that will help. Unfortunately, it's not soley the baddies affecting the score, but the good tradelines that aren't reporting. I have more baddies on Transunion and Experian. I am working on pfd's. One medical bill will be removed this week! I'm reaching out to try to get old things reported, but it's not that easy. I'll only get cards that report to the 3 main bureaus now. Lesson learned! The dealership mentioned that my score would be lower on Equifax without the auto loan. He said they pull the auto enhanced 4 score. I hope so because it's my highest score!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.