cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an auto loan, but I have a low income.

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: I need an auto loan, but I have a low income.

Honda Financial asked me for Income proof, maybe because my credit history was only couple of months old.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average minimum is $1,200 to $1,600 gross a month. You might need a co-signer.

http://www.autoloandaily.com/loan-news/featured-articles/2007-income-verification-why-you-need-to-pr...

Message 12 of 31
ShinBeats
New Contributor

I have 1000 dollars. What do you want me to do, buy a pos 1000 car that's going to break down in 2 months? I've wasted lost of money on hoopdies, and it's time to get into something nice for once.

There has to be someone who will approve me.

09/26/2010
EQ: 634

08/28/2014
EQ: 652
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShinBeats wrote:

I have 1000 dollars. What do you want me to do, buy a pos 1000 car that's going to break down in 2 months? I've wasted lost of money on hoopdies, and it's time to get into something nice for once.

Given that you mentioned, earlier in the thread, that you might wait until you've paid down your utilization in March, you have the time and the opportunity to save some additional cash, and to possibly demonstrate your full income via bank statements.

I'd propose that you stick your $1k in a savings account (if you haven't done so already), and add no less than the maximum payment that you expect to pay each month, once you're eligible for financing, plus the cost of insurance. So, let's take your proposed $325 for a car payment, and say... $75 for insurance (you'll want at least comprehensive no fault if you're financed, plus gap protection). Deposit that amount into your car fund savings account for January, February, March, and April (you'll have time to make this deposit while you wait for your scores to update from your CC payoffs).

While you save, and pay down your current debt, make certain that you're depositing all of your pay into your bank account(s). Make certain that the income for 2010 is claimed on your tax return in the coming months as well.

By April of this year, you'll have (at least) $2600 for a down payment-- 20% down for a car up to $13k. You'll also have the bank statements, and tax return to prove your income.

Message 14 of 31
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Just hang in there. As others suggested, Improve your credit a little in coming months, save some money for down payment and I am sure you can approved. Nothing is impossible

Message 15 of 31
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@ShinBeats wrote:

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but you may not have a choice.

A Honda dealer in my town advertises if you net $1600.00 you are approved. I seriously doubt that is guaranteed.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 16 of 31
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, let's take your proposed $325 for a car payment, and say... $75 for insurance (you'll want at least comprehensive no fault if you're financed, plus gap protection).

is full coverage not required everywhere?  here in texas it is required on all new vehicles.

Message 17 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@laz98 wrote:

is full coverage not required everywhere?  here in texas it is required on all new vehicles.

If you finance a car (new or old) the lien holder will probably require full coverage but I don't believe Texas law ever requires full coverage on any car, new or old. Just liability.

But I could be wrong.  Smiley Happy

ETA: I will call my agent tomorrow and check on this.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

If you finance a car (new or old) the lien holder will probably require full coverage but I don't believe Texas law ever requires full coverage on any car, new or old. Just liability.

But I could be wrong.  Smiley Happy

ETA: I will call my agent tomorrow and check on this.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

In my state I am required to verify that a financed car (not a cash sales one BTW) has insurance before it can drive off the lot. Up to and including people coming in for a car without insurance and us having an "on call" insurance agent who comes in and gets them same day coverage (as most places wait at least 24 hours to establish your policy) so they can leave in the vehicle that day.

Also: when we call to verify coverage, in most cases the insurance co wants to know the name of the lienholder, and I also thihnk when people call to establish/change coverage they are questioned on that as well.  Most people believe it is a non consequence formality- the reality is that should your insurance coverage lapse they usually send a notice to the lienholder.

Financed cars "require" full coverage and lapse of policy is lapse of terms and can result in a repo.

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShinBeats wrote:

I am sorry but there is no "right" to a car loan. I am not telling you this as someone who is looking down on you but simply stating a fact. You may need to enlist friends or relatives to help you find a cheaper car sold private party, or to cosign or to take an additional job to save more money for a purchase.

A buy here pay here could help you but you need to understand those options will not get you the car you choose but the one they think you can afford.

I did not have a car when I left the USMC. in fact I did not have a driver's license.

When I went to get my license I had to have a friend use their car as you could not test in a rental. (my friend had rented one for me)

When I went to buy a car I could not get financed by anyone as NFCU had a 1 year to eas, 1 year on new job rule for financing and my credit was "spotty" at best- I had moved across country with no references and new at a job.

My brother helped me "buy" a $800 POS that died day 3 and i was back to renting.

So for 8 months I drove a rental car rented monthly at a cost of $600+ a month- rented with a debit card (so I had to have enough on the card to "pay" the authorization/funds hold and then each month I paid cash for the rental.

Then one night sick of blowing twice a car payment a month, although I was clearing almost $3K a month after taxes (and spending almost 1K on car/insurance/gas),  I went online and the Special Finance department of a Dealership using CAC helped get me into a car. They chose the car for me, 70K miles, standard cab, 5 years old at I felt gouging price, I had to achieve a certain downpayment to get it, with all the essentials I had to tack on like service contract, taxes and fees  etc  and at 24.9% the payment was $334, for 4 years (what they would finance me for). And I was happy I had a car, and was saving half what i had been paying.

The gas tank fell off driving it home that night.

The dealership provided me with a loaner as they fixed it.

One year at my job and just seeing if it would happen I apped online and NFCU approved me, keeping the term the same (4 years- so yes I extended the total loan by 6 months) but dropping my payment to 210 a month.

I understand that the poor many times pays more for services and even life needs that the better off financially do not. That they are at a disadvantage.

I am sorry that's a huge injustice. i do not think its fair that people who cannot keep enough in a bank to get free accounts pay a fee to cash their paychecks somewhere, or pay more for food as they are limited where/how they can shop. That by not being able to afford a washer/dryer or get theirs fixed they pay more per month to use a laundrymat. By having to purchase money orders, direct utility bill fee pays, paying for check cashing -is many times more then the monthly fee they would pay for a bank account, and even if they could get a bank account not having a car means they have to try to get transport to a bank to cash it (many employer do not offer direct deposit)- but many might accidentally overdraft then anyway and Chex Systems issues start.

Thats money they could use to pay for food or doctors appointments or medicine, or to even improve their situation in life. 

I started cashing a guy who lived in my apartment buildings paychecks for him, each month I saved him almost $30. To  many  thats pizza money or Starbucks or how much we spend on 12 packs of Coke- to him he was able to save and afford a cellphone and have a phone for the first time in a year.

I pay my bills via online banking I do not pay a fee the account,  for checks or stamps.  I was in a drug store that had a fee schedule on the wall for paying bills and was like why do people do that pay a fee to pay their say electric bill unless they are close to shut off. It was explained that the fee to pay it was still cheaper then paying for both a money order and then a Stamp which combined meant that they could be paying 1.30 to pay a bill instead of just the .69. I was like OK.

But there is no right to credit or a loan. Sorry.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.