cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help!! Rebuilding and need advice..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help!! Rebuilding and need advice..

Hello, 

I am pretty new to this forum, but Ive found alot of info out here (so thanks)! My situation is pretty dire, but its getting better. I have been working on my credit for about 8 months through Lexington. They have improved, but not that much. I am currently in the market for a vehicle. I have two cars paid off (buy-here pay-here), and they both are on their last legs. My mom uses one and Im in the other. Recently, the one Im driving can barely go. So I have to get something ASAP!

About 2 weeks ago, my scores were Eq:614 Exp:609 Trans:720..I dont understand why the gap is so large between Exp/Eq and Trans but thats what myFico was saying. I decided to try and get approved just to see if it was even possible. I was approved through Roadloans with no money down, 18% interest, $287/mth for 72 mths on a 13,500 loan. I know that is high, but I felt good to know I was even approved. After reading these posts, I realized if I apply for auto credit withing a certain timeframe, they will be considered as 1 hard pull. So, I applied other places..online and called around. I was approved for 3 different loans, and decided to take the one from a dealership. The loan is for $15,000, pymts $350, interest 14.9% for 5 1/2yrs for 2013 Nissan Maxima with 56,000 miles. I know this rate is ridiculous, but I have feel I have no choice. My plan is to take this offer, but pay off early. I'll continue paying my bills on time, get my scores raised and hopefully re-fi next year. Now, my scores are Eq:607 Exp:607 Trans:698 from hard pulls I assume.

As I understand this is something most of you would not do, I simply do not have a choice. I have been at my bank for about 4 years with no negativity or insufficient funds. I deposit money from my chk every week and have a good relationship with them. However, they check Equifax and score has to be 625. I dont have the time to wait for it to increase. CU is not an option (only one where I live), because I just found out I have an old account  there which is $85 that has to be paid. I will pay that in full this week.. They said I can only get a savings (for 3 mths I think), before even considering a checking acct. So, I know I couldnt get a loan at this time with them. So, Im interested in knowing where to go from here? What is timeframe I can expect to refinance? Where does my scores need to be?  Im just getting back on my feet, in my last semester of school and anticipate my income being alot more next year. Income now $32,000 annually.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!:-)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need help!! Rebuilding and need advice..

I just noticed your post; it usually doesnt take very long to get a reply; I'll try now.

Welcome to the myFico forums!

I understand your predicament and I can identify with you on that.

My recommendation would be that if you have reason to believe you will be in Ok shape with making the payments, get the car and the loan.

If you havent pulled your CRs, I recommend you do that very soon so you can identify what items you need to work on to eliminate baddies and get your scores up.

As far as how long until you can refi the auto loan, no set rules.  When your scores come up a reasonable amount, then it would be Ok.  I would suggest above 640 and having some space (time) between any late payments for anything.

I joined the NASA CU and also the SDFCU and I made small share account deposits just to open accounts with them.  You dont have to live near them at all.  Many others here have joined DCU and have had great success with auto refi loans.  I would recommend just opening a small share account (maybe just pick one) as soon as you can spare 10 or 20 bucks just to establish an account number and a relationship.  When your scores come up, you could app for a refi with them.

If you have at least 3 CCs, that will give you the most benefit from the Fico scoring algorithms.

Above all, make all your payments on time and as Dory said in 'Finding Nemo', just keep swimming, just keep swimming ...

HTH

ETA: I just reread your post and noticed you mentioned Lexington.  We have read of others that have used them and only received short term benefits from using them.  Sometimes, they just flood CAs with letters and get accounts dropped, but they reappear after being sold to another CA in a few weeks.  They really cant do anything that you cant do yourself, ie, they have no super powers at all.  Just a suggestion - their fee could be aportion of your new car payment.  Not meant to preach, just to suggest.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to try to find a lender that only pulls TU, that way you get a good APR based on your highest score

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks AhmedInVA!Thats what I tried doing, but couldnt find anyone that runs transunion. Therefore, I was only stuck with the offers that I received. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Asbinjax..so much for your response and suggestions!! I do have all 3 credit reports..Ive been tracking them for awhile and watching them move (like a hawk)! Lol! I did go ahead with the car and loan, because I really had no choice (as I mentioned earlier). Thanks for that advice. It made me feel better knowing that someone else agreed on moving forward. You mentioned if I have at least 3 cc's, that will help more with the Fico scoring. I do have 2 capital one cc..one of them CL is $750. The other is $2000..just got an increase about 2-3 wks ago. I have store cards..JCPenney, Belk, Torrid, TJMaxx, ranging from $100-$500 CL. I dont know if the store cards are considered cc though, so am I covered with the cc or do I need another credit card, such as cap one?

As far as the credit unions, I also see many people speaking highly of DCU. I thought all credit unions had stipulations with becoming a member, such as a family member being a member or working at a certain place. I did have a chance to browse over the website (DCU), so Ill apply for this today. What do you mean by "share account"? Is this just a checking or savings at a credit union?

I will definitely keep payments current and on time. I also dont have lexington anymore. I was just using them to help with credit score to get a car. Now that I have that, as you said, that payment can go towards my car payment!:-)

Thanks so much with your reply! I appreciate more than you'll ever know. Great suggestions! And since you took time to reply in such a helpful way..I wanted to ask about the meaning of terms in the forums. What does gardening and watering mean? Lol! I think that's some of what Ive been reading. You also mentioned, "As Dory said in 'Finding Nemo' to keep swimming..", I assume that means to keep going with trying to get on track. Am I right? Im just not familiar with alot of terms and abbreviations (in the forums), so I was hoping you could help me out.:-) 

Thanks (SO MUCH) again, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much for your response and suggestions!! I do have all 3 credit reports..Ive been tracking them for awhile and watching them move (like a hawk)! Lol! I did go ahead with the car and loan, because I really had no choice (as I mentioned earlier). Thanks for that advice. It made me feel better knowing that someone else agreed on moving forward. You mentioned if I have at least 3 cc's, that will help more with the Fico scoring. I do have 2 capital one cc..one of them CL is $750. The other is $2000..just got an increase about 2-3 wks ago. I have store cards..JCPenney, Belk, Torrid, TJMaxx, ranging from $100-$500 CL. I dont know if the store cards are considered cc though, so am I covered with the cc or do I need another credit card, such as cap one?

As far as the credit unions, I also see many people speaking highly of DCU. I thought all credit unions had stipulations with becoming a member, such as a family member being a member or working at a certain place. I did have a chance to browse over the website (DCU), so Ill apply for this today. What do you mean by "share account"? Is this just a checking or savings at a credit union?

I will definitely keep payments current and on time. I also dont have lexington anymore. I was just using them to help with credit score to get a car. Now that I have that, as you said, that payment can go towards my car payment!:-)

Thanks so much with your reply! I appreciate more than you'll ever know. Great suggestions! And since you took time to reply in such a helpful way..I wanted to ask about the meaning of terms in the forums. What does gardening and watering mean? Lol! I think that's some of what Ive been reading. You also mentioned, "As Dory said in 'Finding Nemo' to keep swimming..", I assume that means to keep going with trying to get on track. Am I right? Im just not familiar with alot of terms and abbreviations (in the forums), so I was hoping you could help me out.:-) 

Thanks (SO MUCH) again, and I look forward to hearing from you!

You're welcome -

'Just keep swimming' means keep going, keep trying hard, never give up.

'Gardening' and watering means not to apply for new credit and let your accounts grow, maybe asking for a CLI now and then, but pretty much just trying to grow without new apps.

You said you have 2 CCs and some store cards, the store cards count as revolving credit accounts, so you are covered.   In a manual review with a human, the store cards do not have as much merit as a large company CC does, but just during a manual review, like for a mortgage or asking a CCC to reconsider their decision.

DCU is a great CU also.  Many of the CUs that want to have exposure to more customers have made changes to membership requirements, like SDFCU.  I dont work for the Federal Government but they did have an option I could qualify under, however, even though I am a military vet, I cant qualify for membership at the Navy Federal CU.

I would suggest reading in the Rebuilding Forum, where there is lots of good info, including the abbreviations commonly used:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Helpful-Rebuilding-Threads/td-p/224981

The amounts of your CC limits arent critically important right now, just that they are revolving accounts and you pay on time.  CLs are important as you try to grow your credit, as in a new app getting a higher starting line because you have others that are high.  Example - CC one gives you a 2k line and you get a new CC, they might give you 5k to get you to like them better and use them.  New CC three says hey, I can give you 7.5k and so on.

Glad you fired Lexington and can put that 'retainer fee' to much better use!

Good luck on rebuilding and getting that auto refinanced.

ETA: A 'share account' in a CU is like a savings account in a bank organization.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, Im a new member of DCU! Im so excited. I checked my credit score and it has gone up 5 points, because of this inquiry (im assuming). Either way, I feel good about it. My question is now..I see they have credit cards. I am thinking hard about applying, but dont know if now is a good time. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to be approved? Where does your credit have to be? What's the chances of me being approved? Credit scores: 609, 614, 702.

Thanks!!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, Im a new member of DCU! Im so excited. I checked my credit score and it has gone up 5 points, because of this inquiry (im assuming). Either way, I feel good about it. My question is now..I see they have credit cards. I am thinking hard about applying, but dont know if now is a good time. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to be approved? Where does your credit have to be? What's the chances of me being approved? Credit scores: 609, 614, 702.

Thanks!!

Not sure if you mentioned how many HPs you have or when you think they will fall off.

There is no set time frame for doing the auto refi, just whenever you think your scores are Ok.

Do you have any baddies coming off soon?  I am waiting until I get a couple more rollled off my CRs and that will happen for me before the end of the year.  Very hard to wait and 'garden' but better if I do.

Is there any reason you want the CC now, like for a big purchase or to improve UTI?  If no distinct reason now, might be better to hold off and focus on the auto loan refi?

GL

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asbinjax, Im not sure how many hard pulls I have. I know there are many (probably about 7-10), but all from auto loans. Im hoping on the next cycle they will be considered as ONE HP. I have like 4 baddies at this time, and they are all medical bills. Im trying to get the info to make payment plans with them but have been unable to do that (at this time). Do you know where to get the info to contact the baddies on my report. I dont need any lowering of my scores..Im trying to get increases from this point on. (I would hate to back track).

The reason I want the CC with DCU is for a couple of reasons. Utilization being one reason...and if my limit is high enough, I would transfer all my balances to this one card.. I just dont want to apply and get denied. Also, for relationship purposes. Im sure having a card with them and paying on time will be a better impact than having just a checking and savings. (Or I could be wrong). I just want to have a great relationship with them, as this is most likely who I would want to re-fi with next year.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to tell how many HPs you have from your CRs, listed under 'inquiries'.

If you dont have the info to contact about the baddies, it should be listed on your CRs with the account details, and if you have had any correspondence.  The best situation with medical bills is to ask the OC (original creditor) to recall the debt from the CA and for you to pay them directly.  This will remove the CAs authority to collect and they will have to remove the TL from your CR.  Then if you can get the OC to accept a PFD, it would remove the other TL from your CR.  The hospital we used would do that, and they offered a 20% discount (if the bill was over 225) if you did an immediate PIF, and they would quietly drop the TL in a couple months.  A very good win for me.

If you would like the CC from DCU, I think if you app for it soon, you could call and ask them fi they could consider it without an additional HP, and I think they do it if less than 30 days from membership app. 

If they offer a BT with zero interest, that would work well for you.  Keep in mind that if you have a high UTI, it will also hurt your Fico scores, so hopefully, you can keep it under a 30% ceiling.  Fico likes under 10% for optimum score, but 30% is Ok, and above that, I think you lose some points.  They count the UTI on each card as well as all the cards together.

I agree, building a relationship is important and should be helpful for your chances of a bigger exposure in the future.

I am still in the rebuilding phase of my credit and I consider that I am seducing the lenders to grant approvals and higher CLIs.  I try to make my credit profile look as good as I can before I submit an app.

I also try to minimize the times I get denied, but it isnt really a terrible thing as far as your CRs and scores are concerned, but they still sting personally.

hth

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.