cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I have credit limit of $10,000 with utility of 30% would I need to show proof of income..

tag
BetterTomorrow
New Contributor

If I have credit limit of $10,000 with utility of 30% would I need to show proof of income..

to lease a car?  Or does the utility have to be 0%?  I have paid for a car before but it was under someone elses name due to my having low credit scores back then so it doesn't show up on my credit report.  My scores being over 700 now, will they let me lease a car without me showing them proof of income?  I'm in California by the way.  Thanks for your help.  

4/22/08
TU 673 EQ 631 EX 689

7/1/12
TU 705 EQ 717 EX 718
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: If I have credit limit of $10,000 with utility of 30% would I need to show proof of income..

I guess I just HAVE to ask... why are you hiding/not showing your income?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: If I have credit limit of $10,000 with utility of 30% would I need to show proof of income..

Part of the approval process is determining your DTI ratio. Regardless of your debts you'll still have to state and prove your income, probably they will ask for your most recent paystubs.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
BetterTomorrow
New Contributor

What makes you think I'm hiding my income Fruitrican?  Please do not judge people, everyone can't be as wealthy as you...

Anyway, I'm a freelance worker and I don't get paycheck stubs like a regular employee.  And since I didn't make that much the past few years, I don't know if my tax papers will be sufficient enough.  What are my options?  

4/22/08
TU 673 EQ 631 EX 689

7/1/12
TU 705 EQ 717 EX 718
Message 4 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

If you are employed they will use recent pay for income.

If you are self-employed, they will use tax returns.

If you made very little on your last tax return but are making more now, you won't have an easy way to prove that. Any freelance or business income will normally be erratic so they will expect to average your income over a long period of time. They may want one tax return or they may want to average two or even three.

Very good credit scores and a long history will get you around these requirements and they may just use your stated income.

Message 5 of 6
Cellice
Regular Contributor

It also depends which bank you are leasing the car from. They all have different requirements. I just leased a Cadillac with Ally Bank and they did not request proof of income. My score was 720. I received tier 1 financing without any problem.

I would however recommened you get your utilization below 10%. Previously when I was self-employed and did not have tax documents (1st year self-employed) I used bank statements to demonstrate proof of income.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.