cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Lease does it go on Credit Report?

tag
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

Re: If You Lease does it go on Credit Report?

@Anonymous wrote:

@JayRizzo wrote:

Yep, it goes on your credit report under installments just as a financed vehicle including the Full leased price of the vehicle at signing say $30,000 for example -- minus my monthly payments, of course = balance reported each month.  Approval is about the same as traditional financing, but dealerships make alot more money pushing Leases than Retail Financing because they get to resell the vehicle again after you return it as well as the upfront kickback they receive for leases over financing.

But, I'd warn against a lease.  I did it one time in life and will never do it again.  I had the same thought in mind as you did -- in fact, I only lived 6 minutes away from my office AND had a second vehicle, so I thought, No Big Deal!!!  Boy-O-Boy was I wrong.  Leased vehicles require the highest insurance requirements, therefore, I could not modify my policy.  If you modify your insurance policy below their requirements, they CAN and WILL repossess your vehicle, so I carried sky-high premiums for the full length of the lease -- with that money alone, I could've purchased ANOTHER small car.

Also, it was more of a headache in the end trying to prep the vehicle for return -- they want it in prestine showroom condition with a new set of tires if the wear is under specs, etc.  That Kit they send you is to measure each wear-n-tear dent.  Since my lease end timeframe was during the Winter season, imagine me trying to identify and measure dents in our Michigan weather -- hope you have a garage or use a friend or relative's.  You must provide proof of This-n-That such as all recalls, oil changes, routine scheduled maintenance -- no problem there if you save all of your receipts.  I thought it was just my leasing company being a Pain In The Rear, but NOPE -- all do the same.  If you have small children, FORGET IT!!!  If something spills -- they will charge you a minimum detailing fee of $600 if you don't take care of spots and stains yourself.  The dealership made a note that they found a couple fossilized french fries in the cushion of the back seat and told me they MUST make a note of that -- whaaaaaaaat???  But, there's no DING for fossil fries  Smiley Very Happy

Then you walk away Car-less and back to square one again.

There are two major things people Lease in their life: Cars and apartments/houses. No one ever calls their rent payment their mortgagae but everyone calls their leased car payment their car payment.

yet the standards are very similar: when I leave a leased apartment I have always been given an itemized bill of everything they did after I moved out and was charged accordingly. (My favorite is what they bill for cleaning the stove)

Car leases are similar.

I dispute your negative experience/opinion on leasing as fear mongering.

Car lease payments are BASED ON THE RESALE CONDITION OF THE CAR AT THE END OF YOUR LEASE- so yes cleaning and dings may well influnce that value. Leaving 4 bumperstickers on the card about how your kid is a successfull whatever at whatever school, is like punching holes in the wall of your apartment. Someone has to fix it.

Lease a summer house/cabin/beachfront and you will be charged for wear and tear damage and such.

Leasing a car can be a great experience if you:

1- have a stable job and commute so you can predict your mileage.

2- have stable housing so you know where you mileage will be at the end

3-Fully explore and factor all "lease turn in" fees to your overall payment. (do research some companies charge some do not)

4- Do not expect to have excessive wear or tear to the car (yeah lots of kids can be a problem)

5-Keep in mind IT IS NOT YOUR CAR.

But here is the thing: Ford, if you were leasing a vehicle from them offers WEAR CARE which yes you pay for, but it does increase the amount of coverage you get to where you in most cases really can walk away from the lease at the end no money owed unless you went over mileage. (Talk in depth at the dealership to know what is expected of you.)

You get the benefit of, depending on the lease special/incentives, of getting a $25,000 car for around $300 a month. thats pretty darn good.  So yes pay the $100 to have the car detailed before you turn it in (which most people do not want to do because they are giving up the car), or accept paying much more to have the car cleaned.

I have seen people have major damage to a lease vehicle from a car accident and not want to turn it into their insurance company as it would raise  their rates freak when they are told they are going to be charged at turn in, its like Umm did you expect that little elves were going to fix that missing bumper?

For an idea of extra warranty and wear care you can get for peace of mind:

http://www.fordcredit.com/redcarpetlease/features_benefits.jhtml

I agree with you, that person really got stuck to them i am on my second lease and when this one is over---I am leasing again!!

Message 11 of 20
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On my credit reports it shows only the outstanding number of payments and the total for the payments left on the lease less taxes. It  absolutely does not show the total amount of the car. I'm in my fifth lease car.

One question I have for you is why, if you hardly drive, you need to lease a car. Maybe you're leasing a plug-in electric car and renting a car for the occasional road trip. Anyway, you're paying for a certain number of miles when you lease so you might as well use them. Maybe lease a car that's big enough for the road trip in the first place.

I don't know why people are so uninformed about leasing cars. A simple calculator would show the advantage for anyone driving less than 12,000 miles / year. For the most part if you add up the payments, down payment if any, and the buy-it price at the end of the lease it very often comes out to less than buying the car outright for cash and paying the taxes on day 1.  Go to Honda's site and click on Special Offers and pick a lease with $0 due at signing. Add it all up and compare it to the MSRP. You'll see.

I hear people say that it's a rip-off because the car has to be in good shape when you turn it in. OK, if you're the type of person who trashes a vehicle in 3 years, leasing is not for you, but how is it different from owing the piece of trash you created? If you're a smoker who is driving a car with broken glass, dents the size of a fist and a key scratch across 3 panels then you should only buy $8,000 used cars and change every 2 years.

Another complaint is that there's an excess mileage charge of $0.15 to $0.25 per mile over 12,000/mi or whatever you've contracted for. If you owned the car and drove a lot of miles it would be worth less so what's the difference? Truth is, when you turn a car in at the end of the lease the dealer is so anxious to get you into a new lease that they eat the cost of some if not all of the excess mileage. Same with minor damages...number of dings per panel, size of dings, scratches, paint. It's pretty well spelled out what normal wear-and-tear is and most people don't come near to the excess wear-and-tear.

I park on the street, no garage, and I have never had a charge for wear-and-tear. Bumper covers do get scratches. Not a big deal.

Think of leasing as a 3 year test drive. If you like it at the end you can buy it cheap and keep it as long as you can afford to maintain it. Otherwise you can turn it in, get the latest in technology, with brand new tires, brakes, antifreeze, transmission oil, suspension, etc at pretty close to the same monthly payment you've been paying.

I agree with everything you said. I think Nissanrep got a really bad deal. I've got a my second great leased deal with no money down, I have credit in the mid 700 credit spread.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nissanrep I agree with everything you posted but please keep in mind that the post you quoted and replied to is from 2011 and it's unlikely you'll get any response from that poster.  Nonetheless your info is valuable.  People would be shocked if every leased car out there had a big L written on the side of the vehicle. Far too many have misperceptions about leases and anyone giving advice that leases are bad choices is very wrong.  They can be a great choice for many people.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand the original post was from 2011...but what I was responding to was a comment from the 16th of this month.  I would hate for them to make a decision based on incorrect information.  People have a horrible perception of car salesman and dealerships in general.  I agree there are many dealers around the country that only have profit in mind when making a car deal.  With how hard the authorities are cracking down on shady car dealers there are a lot more good dealerships than bad these days.  Do your homework and study the product before going to the dealership or you are asking to be taken advantage of...these people do this for a living and have an answer for everything that you might come up with unless you are highly educated on what you want.  If anyone has any questions on the car buying process please feel free to send me a message and I will do whatever I can to help.  I have contacts at nearly every brand in every state in the country if you would like to take the time to research the best deal for you. 

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nissanrep - do you know much about lease requirements for Land Rover Financial Services?
Message 15 of 20
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous - do you know much about lease requirements for Land Rover Financial Services?

I know you asked for niss---but just have your game on. Have a good score 680-720 or higher. You dont have to put money down if you do not want and dont fall for that your payment will be higher stuff. I lease my cars off the national ad with the lease (500 a month  with 3k down) no 500 a month with no money down.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kerinmiami - thank you for the information. I am currently sitting at EQ 687 TU 711 EX 684. I believe this may go up in the next few weeks with a collection that will be removed, also my utilization will be down from 25% to about 1%.

From this forum and by valuable people like yourself, I learned a lot, in which I will take to arm myself come December, with the new car purchase (lease).

We are looking to lease a 2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, I will negotiate the money factor so the APR comes in somewhere between 4-5% and not the projected 7% it is now.

Looking at the depreciation of the vehicle, it comes in just around $35k for 33 months, with a residual of 63%. No way in heck should I be paying $1500/month when in actuality payments should be around $1000-$1200, with "good" credit.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. I'm working on keeping my FICO steady at 715+ for the next 3 months, then will take on the next big projects to the new year of adding additional credit lines to my credit portfolio.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I've been away from the forums for awhile...You can't negotiate the money factor on a lease.  The money factor is set by the manufacturer and the only way it changes is based on the tier you are approved for.  It's like saying that you are approved for 1.9% because you came in tier 3 rather than 0.9% because you came in tier 1-2.  When you go with manufacturer supported interest rates the dealership must give you the interest rate you qualified for.  The only time you can negotiate rate is when you are approved for regular financing and the finance manager is trying to hold interest rate points based on buy rate.  The bank that approves you sets the buy rate and the dealership can normally charge you anywhere from 1%-3% above that depending on the lender and how long you are financing the vehicle.  The only way you could get a more favorable money factor is to be very nice to the finance manager and have them plead your case with the lender to get you a tier bump to the next level.  I hope this helps...because if you go in trying to negotiate money factor you will likely just get upset and believe they are trying to upcharge you when in all reality that is incorrect and they are just following a money factor rate sheet and residual sheet given to them by the manufacturer.  

Message 18 of 20
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I've never leased but someone above mentions if you drive little, lease. Of course you have car payments from now until forever. I bought a 2007 Pontiac, it currently has 15k miles on it. I don't drive much.. So after I paid off my line I'm free and clear for a few years now and the auto is still in great shape. We needed a second car and again just recently bought. It made sense for us.. So just don't get into the mind set that if you drive little you have to lease.. You have options.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 19 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I've been away from the forums for awhile...You can't negotiate the money factor on a lease.  The money factor is set by the manufacturer and the only way it changes is based on the tier you are approved for.  It's like saying that you are approved for 1.9% because you came in tier 3 rather than 0.9% because you came in tier 1-2.  When you go with manufacturer supported interest rates the dealership must give you the interest rate you qualified for.  The only time you can negotiate rate is when you are approved for regular financing and the finance manager is trying to hold interest rate points based on buy rate.  The bank that approves you sets the buy rate and the dealership can normally charge you anywhere from 1%-3% above that depending on the lender and how long you are financing the vehicle.  The only way you could get a more favorable money factor is to be very nice to the finance manager and have them plead your case with the lender to get you a tier bump to the next level.  I hope this helps...because if you go in trying to negotiate money factor you will likely just get upset and believe they are trying to upcharge you when in all reality that is incorrect and they are just following a money factor rate sheet and residual sheet given to them by the manufacturer.  

yes they are set by tier but you FOR SURE can push/negotiate for the dealership to get you tier bump into a better tier... that usually just takes walking away!

I've been tier bumped from 3 to 1 through Infiniti and through Nissan now each once.  They are one of the easier in my experience.

I could not get Kia to tier bump me and I got the Infiniti for the exact same price and the car was over $10k more!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.