Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a situation with buying another car. Need advice

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

In a situation with buying another car. Need advice

My scores are upper 600's and 700's.   Well im about to lose those scores due to an error on my car loan.  They are about to report me 30 days late (long story)

I still owe 6000 on my car. Trade in they will give me 3000 and I've tried carmax and they are about the same range.

The car I want to buy is 17000 but I have to rush and buy it now before my scores go down.   Also, my current car needs a lot of work so I need to get rid of it.

Can I still apply for car loans online if I already have a car loan out?  And how much do I apply for since I need to pay off my current loan negative what they offer me as a tradein?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: In a situation with buying another car. Need advice

In order to trade in the vehicle, the dealership will add your negative equity to the cost of the new vehicle.  

So if you are going to do this - find a vehicle you like with lots of incentives. What type of vehicle (make/model) are you looking at for $17k?

Message 2 of 5
Cellice
Regular Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

My scores are upper 600's and 700's.   Well im about to lose those scores due to an error on my car loan.  They are about to report me 30 days late (long story)

I still owe 6000 on my car. Trade in they will give me 3000 and I've tried carmax and they are about the same range.

The car I want to buy is 17000 but I have to rush and buy it now before my scores go down.   Also, my current car needs a lot of work so I need to get rid of it.

Can I still apply for car loans online if I already have a car loan out?  And how much do I apply for since I need to pay off my current loan negative what they offer me as a tradein?

Try applying at PenFed now because the late is reported. Your approval will be good for 90 days. That will give you time to navigate your situation.

Message 3 of 5
glamchick
Established Contributor

PENFED approved me for an auto loan.

Im looking at either an Acura or a Jeep both with under 50k miles

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 4 of 5
Gmood1
Super Contributor

You need to find a vehicle you like with some heavy cash back incentives,as stated by another member. If not you're going to be extremely upside down in a used vehicle with 50k miles on it . Unless you can get a really and I mean really good deal on it. Or put down enough money to be right side up.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.