cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of some auto loan advice please

tag
Gvalencia

In need of some auto loan advice please

Hello all from Texas. New here and I'm happy I found this site.

Ok here we go. After 3 yrs of hard work it finally paid off and as of last month my credit is all repaired but $450 from a collections agency that reaches the statute of limitations next year. My new scores are 661, 657, & 706. I managed to get a starter credit card (orchard bank) to open up some credit. I recently found a car that I would like to purchase and would like to know what all I need to be able to obtain it. It is an old model sports car with high mileage (134k) on the odometer, but has a rebuilt motor (verified). One of my past mistakes was damaging my credit with Wells Fargo, but this was also one of the things I did fix. Only thing is now they have me flagged (or something) on check systems. So this eliminates me getting an acct on my own with any cred union. I have been with my new employment for 1 yr and make more than enough to pay what ever extreme interest they throw at me. Im 32 yrs old. Own 1 car (old) and 1 motorcycle. Both paid in full. I rent not buying (at the moment). The only thing that I know credit union wise is that my mother has had an acct for several years now. I plan on paying the car off in 2 yrs max. Both of my banks will not give me an auto loan due to the mileage. No savings accts yet.

So my questions are:

What  all do I need to get an auto/ or personal loan for $21k?

Is it possible???

Is it possible to have my mother help, if so then how?

Any recommendations for high mileage auto financing place?

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated! Thank you all.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In need of some auto loan advice please

One question I have: where did you get your credit scores?  Are those from a lender?  The reason I ask is because nobody has been able to buy their Experian scores for years.  If the scores you have are what we call FAKOs, they are not your real FICO scores and don't give anyone a good idea of where you stand right now, since FAKO scores are pretty much useless.

Message 2 of 28
Gvalencia

The scores are legit. I use Truecredit.com with Transunion as a monthly check. I highly recommend it. Gives me an accurate update on everything. Debt, scores, inquires, and more. 

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gvalencia wrote:

The scores are legit. I use Truecredit.com with Transunion as a monthly check. I highly recommend it. Gives me an accurate update on everything. Debt, scores, inquires, and more. 

Truecredit.com= FAKO = useless. Pull your score from here and post what you have.

TBC

Message 4 of 28
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Gvalencia wrote:

Gvalencia.  Hi, and welcome to the forums.  You have run into the same problem that most people do when they first start trying to evaluate and improve their credit profile.  The credit scores you are getting from Transunion are not Fico scores.  They are most assuredly not used by your prospective lenders.  They are what we like to refer to as FAKO scores, being that they are basically sold as "educational" scores by the three credit bureaus Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.  Third party providers like Transunion, Freescore.com, Creditkarma, etc...etc...etc.... market these so called "credit scores" to the public but when you read the fine print they even admit they are not the real deal.  The actual credit reports you receive are legit, although an abbreviated version of what you can actually pull from the CRA directly from their website.  You need to get your real Fico score here.  The Equifax score is rock solid, and will most likely exactly match what your lender would pull from say a credit union, unless they use an auto enhanced version of the score.  The Transunion score you get here is an older version called TU 98, but it is a real Fico score and is still used by a lot of lenders.  You cannot purchase your Experian credit score anywhere at this time, although it is available to a select few via a PA. credit union last time I heard.  If you want to know your actual score, buy your Equifax score here, then sit down and compare your three credit reports you get from Truecredit to see how they match up.  There can be substantial differences in accounts reported, balances, negatives and so on.  This will give you at least a basic idea of where you stand.  There are many, many well credit educated folks on these forums who will be glad to answer any questions you may have.  Just take a look at all the forums and post your question in the appropriate place.  The moderators will help you with that if need be.  Glad you are here, and don't get discouraged.  We all started here at some point.  Good luck. 

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gvalencia wrote:

Sorry for the bad news, but as others have mentioned, Truecredit provides you with FAKO scores.  Useless unfortunately.  If you can get at least one of your real FICO scores from here, probably EQ is best, people can help you a lot more.  I think you can also get a real FICO from the EQ website as well, although they bury it and try to sell you their FAKO instead.

On a monitoring note, you may even consider USAA over Truecredit.  Both provide usless scores, but USAA allows a daily pull of all three reports and costs only $12.25/month.  Perhaps you could even sign up for the ScoreWatch free trial as well.  It gets you a free EQ FICO score.  If you don't want the service, you can just cancel within the 7 days.

Message 6 of 28
Gvalencia

Thank you Guydiver for the sound advice. Much appreciated. Now is there a chance we could get back on track and try answering the "original" question please?

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gvalencia wrote:

Thank you Guydiver for the sound advice. Much appreciated. Now is there a chance we could get back on track and try answering the "original" question please?

I think the point of the extra questions is that it is really hard for anyone to give you advice on what auto loans you might be able to get until you find your real credit scores.  Most auto lenders are going to start by looking at your credit score.  If we don't know what that is, it is hard to make suggestions.

Message 8 of 28
FrugalRican
Blogger

The answer to the original question, requires you to answer the question everyone else is asking.

@Gvalencia wrote:

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 28
Gvalencia

Equi- 694

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.