Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income question in relation to auto loan application

tag
kskajohnson
Established Member

Income question in relation to auto loan application

I'm in the market for a new vehicle (or gently used) as I have mentioned in an earlier post but I am a bit foggy as to how using spouses income works (as in, if you can legally do it). 

I am applying for the loan myself with my own credit.  My spouse is unable to co-sign on our loan as she is about halfway through a Ch. 13 bankruptcy as a result of a previous marriage/some health issues.  

The kicker here is that she makes about 3x what I do and I was going to see if I could use her income (in addition to mine, of course) without her being on the application.  I noticed the question on one of the apps that I've seen mentioned something about asking "income used to pay for loan" or soemthing along those lines. 

Is there a law/rule against doing this or is this something I would be able to do?  

$125,000 total on an app looks much better than $40,000 for just me.  

Edit:  By the way,  I'm looking at applying for around 22-25K.  My Ex FICO is a 685.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Income question in relation to auto loan application

Being able to use your spouses income depends on which state you are in. I know here in Texas, we are able to use spouse's income if its the intent to depend on the spouse's income to repay the debt. But, I don't think you can use spouse's income without spouse being on the application. I may be wrong about this part.

Message 2 of 4
kskajohnson
Established Member

Im in Washington State. 

I'll have to look into local laws then.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
N7
Established Member

I got approved for a 25-26k auto with a income of 31k

AMEX BCE $6.5k | AMEX PRG NPSL | Chase Ink Plus $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase CSP $10k | Capital One Platinum $4k | Citi Diamond Preferred $11k | Chase Freedom $500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.