Regular Contributor
loviedovie

Is 'car credit' score different?

I just bought a car last night and when they pulled my score they said it was 766!!!

But my score from here is somewhere in the mid 600's?

I DID just pay down my util from 80 to 10% but could that make a 100 point difference in my score??

Starting Score: EXP 615 | TU 610 | EQ 635
Current Score: EXP 719 (lender pull 10/15) | TU 707 | EQ 700 (lender pull 10/25)
Goal Score: 740
Revelate

Re: Is 'car credit' score different?

[ Edited ]

loviedovie wrote:

I just bought a car last night and when they pulled my score they said it was 766!!!

But my score from here is somewhere in the mid 600's?

I DID just pay down my util from 80 to 10% but could that make a 100 point difference in my score??

Yes, that probably made a bulk of the difference assuming it was reported to the bureaus before the pull on the auto loan; however, there are variations in the versions of FICO used, and quite likely when purchasing a car the lender will use what's known as an Auto-enhanced score, which is different than the scores found here which are the basic/classic versions.

Without getting too technical, it simply weights factors differently; say you have a mixed file (like I do, some negative, some positive), and I have lates reported on my credit cards from a few years back, but a spotless auto loan history... my auto-enhanced score will likely be higher were I to get it pulled right now.

On the other hand, when I purchased my own car about a year ago, and I didn't have any auto-loans (or any other installment tradeline for that matter) on my reports, my score was markedly lower than my EQ FICO as found here.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}