Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it good to refinance on my own now?

tag
tayjoemom2628
Valued Member

Is it good to refinance on my own now?

I got a car loan in Febuary 2015 with Capital One and the rate was 14%. At that time my score was 536 and my cosigner was 680. I want to apply with Chase to refinance my loan now in just my name. My income is $40000 and my fico auto score now is 671 and Experian is 662. I'm currently in a debt management program paying off all my credit card debts. I only have one credit card that's still open and that's currently with Chase. Will a get a good rate with Chase if I apply to refinance now or should I wait couples to see if my score goes up?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it good to refinance on my own now?

@tayjoemom2628 wrote:

I got a car loan in Febuary 2015 with Capital One and the rate was 14%. At that time my score was 536 and my cosigner was 680. I want to apply with Chase to refinance my loan now in just my name. My income is $40000 and my fico auto score now is 671 and Experian is 662. I'm currently in a debt management program paying off all my credit card debts. I only have one credit card that's still open and that's currently with Chase. Will a get a good rate with Chase if I apply to refinance now or should I wait couples to see if my score goes up?

I am not an expert on this, and I am sure someone who is will chime in.  But from what I know it can be difficult to do refinancing since you are under a debt management program.  Reason being:

Many lenders/creditors will inform the credit reporting bureaus that your account with them is enrolled in a structured debt repayment plan.  But you might be able to get financing on a vehicle, purchase a home, modify an existing mortgage, or qualify for a student loan (either your own or parental) after the first couple of years of making on-time payments in the program.

When you complete the program, and if all other payments were kept current. you should find that your credit score stayed in good shape and possibly climbed pretty good due to your recent good payment history- which is a major factor in positive credit scores and building positive credit.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a certain reason you wanted to refi with Chase? I think that on an Auto Refi a local Credit Union may be more willing to work with you given the debt repayment program you're on. I'm not an expert on this, however, so someone please feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. 

Message 3 of 7
tayjoemom2628
Valued Member

I've been on the program since February and it has helped me improved my score. When I started out my score was 536 now its 662. I wanted to refi with Chase because I currently have a checking account with them and they will take 0.50% off the interest rate if payments is deducted from the checking account.

Message 4 of 7
tayjoemom2628
Valued Member

I took a chance and applied for the refinance with Chase. I applied for $17800 which would be my payoff amount but was conditional approved for $16300 with a rate of 8.12%.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval! Do you plan on going through with Chase's offer?

Message 6 of 7
tayjoemom2628
Valued Member

Yes I did the closing for it yesterday. They also increase my credit card limit to $2000

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.