Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to Refinance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it time to Refinance?

Purchased a 2013 Dodge Charger AWD SXT for $25,233 out the Door with Ally bank at a 15.45% intrest rate. February of 2016.

I have made on time payments,except in May I paid 11 days late. (Not sure if this affects my credit score, I do not believe it does) 

Current pay off is $24,578.72.

Credit was 602 with Transunion when I financed. I now wish I had done more digging as I've seen much lower rates at that low of a score. 

Either way. 
Currently auto score is in the mid 600's. 

Do I wait 6 months before Refinancing? Do I go a year? 

My credit union placed the cars value at $27,600. So at least according to them I'm not upside down but I've down a few Blue books on my car and have seen it as low at $18,000...

EEP. 

Where should I go with this?  Help.. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is it time to Refinance?

if you already have a credit union and they are placing the value higher, I would apply with them and see what they will do!

You can always refi again in another 6 months if you continue to work on your credit.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

if you already have a credit union and they are placing the value higher, I would apply with them and see what they will do!

You can always refi again in another 6 months if you continue to work on your credit.

My CU is saying I have to wait at least a year of on time payments on my car before I can try with them Smiley Sad 

Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

My CU is saying I have to wait at least a year of on time payments on my car before I can try with them Smiley Sad 

well, they suck!

I would join Navy Federal.

Message 4 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

Invaderofbunnie wrote: Currently auto score is in the mid 600's...Do I wait 6 months before Refinancing? Do I go a year?

In your shoes, I'd pay on time for six more months, and during that time work on the scores, specifically cleaning up Equifax FICO.  Read up on all of the Penfed threads and when you are scoring high enough, do a membershipp app, and then use the same pull for an auto app.  If approved, consider adding one of their cards as well.  They are pretty good about using one pull for all.

I haven't found anyone with lower rates than them, and you might be able to refi to a much shorter term and still have a lower payment.

While you are preparing for this, stay in the garden and pay down any credit card balances so that your utilization looks good.  Keep focused on removing derogs any way possible. 

Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@p- wrote:

Invaderofbunnie wrote: Currently auto score is in the mid 600's...Do I wait 6 months before Refinancing? Do I go a year?

In your shoes, I'd pay on time for six more months, and during that time work on the scores, specifically cleaning up Equifax FICO.  Read up on all of the Penfed threads and when you are scoring high enough, do a membershipp app, and then use the same pull for an auto app.  If approved, consider adding one of their cards as well.  They are pretty good about using one pull for all.

I haven't found anyone with lower rates than them, and you might be able to refi to a much shorter term and still have a lower payment.

While you are preparing for this, stay in the garden and pay down any credit card balances so that your utilization looks good.  Keep focused on removing derogs any way possible. 

Good luck!

Current payment is $545 a Month. Which is Do-able, but not ideal. I wouldn't mind holding that high of a payment if I can refi for a shorter term. (Currently 72 months..EW) I only have one Derog left on my credit report and it might just rot on there. I haven't been able to work something out with the Collection Company / OC. Credti car UTI is currently at 80% so Definately paying that down. Sounds like holding off until the year mark rolls around seems to be the best option. Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

Invaderofbunnie wrote: Current payment is $545 a Month... 72 months... I only have one Derog... Credit car UTI is currently at 80%

That 80% utilization is likely your biggest score killer.  If you can handle it, live on top ramen for six months and pay it down to 4% or less before you app.  As far as letting that baddie rot, I assume you've tried to PFD.  You might consider just paying it so you don't have a balance on there.  How long do you have before it ages off?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@p- wrote:

Invaderofbunnie wrote: Current payment is $545 a Month... 72 months... I only have one Derog... Credit car UTI is currently at 80%

That 80% utilization is likely your biggest score killer.  If you can handle it, live on top ramen for six months and pay it down to 4% or less before you app.  As far as letting that baddie rot, I assume you've tried to PFD.  You might consider just paying it so you don't have a balance on there.  How long do you have before it ages off?

The "date assigned" is December of 2014 but this is from a Sprint account from back in 2012 so I'm not sure What the actual age off date is. I have spoken to sprint about paying them off directly (They still own the account. It has not been sold off) and they said I could pay it and they would close the account in good standing. But what does that mean for the Collection Agency? Do they stop reporting the account or does it just drop to a zero balance.

Ramen? I love Ramen. 

Message 8 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

Invaderofbunnie wrote:...this is from a Sprint account from back in 2012 so I'm not sure What the actual age off date is. I have spoken to sprint about paying them off directly (They still own the account. It has not been sold off) and they said I could pay it and they would close the account in good standing.

The age off is based on the DOFD or Date of First Delinquency, which would be the first missed payment in 2012.  You are 4 years or so into the 7.5 year age off.

Pay it, and wait 30 days for the report to update.  If they leave the collection on there, dispute saying it was paid as agreed and account is in good standing.  Even if they didn't bother to change it on your report, there's a chance they won't confirm the dispute.  Worst case you have a paid collection 4+ years old, not a big deal if the rest of the report is good.  Best case it goes away forever.  Either one is a better outcome than your curent situation, and the money you save in interest  on your car will be worth it.

Enjoy your ramen.

Message 9 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

Speaking of utilization; I forget who originally posted this, but it's a chart of a bunch of files with different AAOA showing how their cc utilization affected their scores.  It's funny, some were better with a small balance, but all files tanked as utilization went up.  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.