Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to Refinance?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it time to Refinance?

^ it's almost universally a linear 100 points.  It stands to reason that you might be able to raise your score 80 points by paying down your cards.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

At that interest rate there is no way I would wait one day longer to try and refinance. Your car is losing value each day and most of your payment is going to interest.

NFCU is a good place to start. They use your mortgage scores and I saw in another thread, yours aren't horrid. Maybe not the best rate but they should get you less than 15%.

Even if you don't get an optimum rate now, you can refinance again. There's no limit to how many times. I went from my CU at 6.10% to PenFed at 4.10% and now I'm looking at DCU to try and get it even lower.

Cap1 was good to me on a refinance a while ago too. Good place to check too.

15% is just too ridiculous to wait in my opinion.
Message 12 of 14
Studio90x
Contributor

I recently bought a new 2016 Altima SR w/ appearance package and traded in my upside down 2012 Altima SR. Score was 650s when I went to dealership for the car, NMAC was the only one who would approve me with no money down but at 11.89% for 72 mos at $609/mo (Crazy to have accepted it but I did). Felt I was taken for a fool as my scores should have qualified me for better rates so I went looking for refinancing that same week.

Few days later, coworker recommended her CFE credit union in Central Florida, and was able to refinance my brand new car at 6.75% for 84 mos ($482/mo) or 2.49% at 51 mos ($645/mo). Chose the 84 mos option as I didn't want over a $600/mo payment. I plan to pay down as much as I can for 1 year and see about requesting a lower rate/refinancing it again.

Definitely check out other credit unions even if you're not a member. I wasn't a member of CFE CU when I applied and got approved.
EQ8 - 696 TU8 - 700 EX8 - 683
Message 13 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Checking out NFCU would be a good idea as others mentioned already. Or at least someone similar. The idea of getting your scores up a bit first makes sense, but you are losing value each day. That will be something you have to way out.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.