Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this price too low?

tag
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Is this price too low?

First of all, I'm not 100% sure if questions about car prices are appropriate here (since my question isn't about the financing process itself).  If this isn't really appropriate, the mods can feel free to remove it, of let me know and I'll delete the post.

My wife and I have decided to get a second vehicle, since we're getting tired of playing the "drop-off" game.  I've said for a while that I want our next car to be electric.  Tesla is well beyond what we're willing to pay, and I don't feel most EVs are worth what they cost. With that in mind, we decided to look into used EVs, and we found a well respected dealership in our area that is selling used Nissan Leaf's (the perfect commuter car for our pruposes) for $12,999.  This is quite a bit less than everyone else around, and less than most sites like Edmunds, KBB, etc...say you'll pay for a certified used 2013 Leaf SV with such low mileage.  Here's a link to the vehicle:

http://www.lithianissaneugene.com/certified/Nissan/2013-Nissan-LEAF-eugene-or-7660387c0a0a000277c430...

Am I missing something?  Are they simply trying to undercut other dealership buy a couple grand because they can?  Is there room to bargin the price down further?

As far as financing goes, a few minuts ago I applied for financing on my credit union's website and got a pretty good rate.  Assuming I go forward with this, I'll probably still see if the dealership can beat this rate, but 2.49% seems pretty good rate to me for a used car loan:

APPROVING BANK: Oregon Community Credit Union
BUREAU PULLED: ???
CREDIT SCORE: FICO8 score 748 (from this site)
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE: Oregon
NEW/USED: Used
YEAR OF VEHICLE: 2013
MAKE: Nissna
MODEL: Leaf
MILEAGE: 16,792
RETAIL/LEASE: Retail
AMOUNT OF LOAN: $12,999
TERM CONTRACTED: 60 months
APR/LEASE RATE: 2.49
MONTHLY PAYMENT: $212.90
ANNUAL INCOME: $120,000
DEBT TO INCOME RATIO: 12%

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is this price too low?

It dosen't hurt to see if they'll go lower, double check the VIN to make sure its clean though

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the price is real. Nissan is selling Leaf's off lease to dealers and currently giving dealers $5000 off. They seem to be just passing that on. Or they "stole" the trade from a customer, unlikely though.

That Leaf you provided a link to is certified. Certified Leaf's have special APR of 0% for 60 months or standard APR with $500 captive cash for financing with NMAC.

Also, think about a certified wrap if they have it available. It upgrades the certification warranty to a bumper to bumper and wipes out the deductible. The CPO warranty is so minimal it doesn't even cover the entire powertrain, more like two thirds of it.  $1500 would be a fair price for that. It's backed by Allstate so you would be in good hands.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Good info, carfinancepro. You and the OP got me curious. If this news from this morning is correct, it seems that Leaf prices may even be dropping lower this summer:

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/06/10/7000-credit-offered-by-nissan-for-nissan-leaf-lease-buyout/

Message 4 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Also, it looks as if there are plenty of similar deals on Leafs in Oregon:

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/52/oregon/nissan/leaf/

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That article is spot on with my experience. You don't think the market is at bottom? Hmmm. I don't think it will dip much lower. Supply will dwindle at these prices and APR's. 

Either way I think the OP needs the car now not in a month or two though. And the car he is looking at has super low miles plus it looks clean. 

The impression I got from the manufacturer is that Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp wants to get off these cars. They don't want them back. According to that article it looks like we the dealer are getting a smaller discount than the consumer. Typical Nissan.

Wow that link to the local inventory is eye opening. Looks like Nissan dumped a ton of lease returns into the market.

Message 6 of 10
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Well, the one I was looking at is gone, but there's a similar model (in black) still available for the same price.  The different between the one I was looking at and most of the other one I've found is trim level.  Just about every 2013 in that list is an S trim, and the one I was looking at was SV.  The SV has one really important upgrade over the S that I'm interested in - a 6.6kW charger vs. a 3.6kW charger.  From my research, almost all of the dumped lease vehicles are S models.

Message 7 of 10
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Okay, the more I look at this, the more I think it's a matter of poorly constructed listings.  The title for all of these say they are the S trim, but the description of many say SV, and describe SV features.  I guess I'll just need to head down to the dealer and see what's what.

Thank you for the information!

Message 8 of 10
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Thanks again, carFinancepro, for your help.  Sure enough, NMAC was happy to give me 0% financing, something that I didn't think ever happened on used cars.  I couldn't get them the budge off the $12,999 price, but thanks to your suggestion, I knew to ask about the certified wrap.  The orginal price he quoted me was ~$3,800.  I wouldn't bit, and made the certified wrap a contingent part of getting the deal done.  I was able to get them downto $1,750 for the certified wrap, but that seemed to be where they dug in their heels.  I *probably* could have brought that down a touch more, but at that point I was satisfied with the price I was getting, and quite happy with the financing terms, so I agreed.  They need to make their money too, I suppose.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome. Glad it worked out for you. $1,750 seems reasonable and you can't beat 0%

By the way, you are right about the charging upgrade being important. I think it's called a quick charger. Get's the job done in like an hour

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.