Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its Harley time!!

tag
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

Its Harley time!!

Son called me and asked if I would co-sign for him to buy a used Harley... we did some research, checked out a few places, and went to the local HD dealership to see what they had. 

His score was below 500 due to "no positive tradelines".. so basically, no credit.  My fault, I should have taught him better.

My score was 649, so they approved us, and he bought a 2001 Heritage Softail Classic, fully dressed the way he wanted,

We got it for 14.49% for 60 months, so not a bad deal, not the greatest, but he can handle the loan terms on his own. 

All in all, it was a pleasant buying experience.  I was able to use the knowledge from this board and negotiate the price down for him an extra 1.2k from what they were originally asking, as well as having them toss in a helmet, and then even got the percentage point dropped 1%

For those that are shopping for bikes, boats, etc etc.... Make sure you ask what other options are available to lower your rate.  We had to take a 60 month term, which only raised the payment 21 bucks a month...

The important thing is, now he has the opportunity to begin his credit journey.  I will help steer him correctly, as I have allready told him to come read all he can on this site. 

OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Its Harley time!!

Congrats to DS and the dad that saved the day tooSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Nice. Fellow 2 wheel pilot here.

Be a even better father by ditching the free helmet and get him something SNELL certified helmet (not those cheap useless half brain buckets) and have him take basic riding class at the minimum.

Here's me Smiley Very Happy

Untitled.jpg

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 7
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Wait, Swift, is that really you? If so, nice!

Congrats on the approval. OP: Have your son apply to and get 2-3 (preferrably 3) cards! Even if they're secured, that's okay. Some good avenues for those with little-to-no credit: Capital One, a local CU/bank, (BofA Secured?)

Message 4 of 7
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

@ Swift:

Yup, I won't even let him take delivery of the bike til he finishes a 2 day rider training course, it is just a refresher for him, since he had a bike 4 years ago, but It helps him save on his insurance, so he takes it this weekend, and picks up bike next week. Smiley Happy

OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 5 of 7
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats!  Bikes are great fun.  Have a couple myself.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 7
ravaage
Established Member

Congrats! What a nice dad... although my father did some pretty great things, co-signing on my harley was not one of them Smiley Happy

Current FICOs: (10-27-14) EQ- 655 / EX- 659 / TU- 653

Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 / CapitalOne Quicksilver $3,000 / Barclaycard Rewards $2,500 / Barclaycard Apple $1,200 / CapitalOne Platinum $750 / Macy's $600 / Chase Freedom $500

In the garden as of 11/04/2014
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.