Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined my CU...will it help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joined my CU...will it help?

After seeing everyone say you can get a better rate at your local CU, I joined the NY Team FCU today. Wish I had done it 8 years ago when I started my job but better late than never. Goal is to try to get an auto loan in the next 3-6 months.  I found out the CU's credit tiers and that they offer certain discounts off the APR, which is great.  Wondering whether my limited time with the CU will hurt my chances of approval got an auto loan.  Do CUs typically consider how long you've been a member?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Joined my CU...will it help?

Not sure if your time with your CU will hurt your chances... but your scores might.

2 years ago mine told me to rebuild and come back in 6 months before they'd issue me a CC and other loan products.  I did... and they did.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Not sure if your time with your CU will hurt your chances... but your scores might.

2 years ago mine told me to rebuild and come back in 6 months before they'd issue me a CC and other loan products.  I did... and they did.

Had the same experience with my CU.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved jobs about 18 months ago, beginning of this year I joined the CU attached to my new company. The same day I did two loan refi's (the reason for the move anyway) and a CC. Scores and income were the biggest factors in the loans and credit. If you are boarderline on scores then time may help, time at the current job may be a benefit as well as it was with my last CU.

One thing I really like about both CU's I am a member with is that I can just go in and ask. If I don't want a hard pull they are willing to discuss options based on score ranges and then only hard pull if the options look good enough for me to apply. Some banks are good to work with as well, but for me they have been dependant on the person you get, with CU's everyone has always been helpful. And they seem to like the idea of continued business and will tell you what you need to do to get what you want over the long term.

Edit: forgot to add, but when I joined the most recent CU they required a hard pull to join. They then used the same pull for all of the accounts, so if that is the case you may want to talk to them sooner rather then later so you don't get another pull.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After seeing everyone say you can get a better rate at your local CU, I joined the NY Team FCU today. Wish I had done it 8 years ago when I started my job but better late than never. Goal is to try to get an auto loan in the next 3-6 months.  I found out the CU's credit tiers and that they offer certain discounts off the APR, which is great.  Wondering whether my limited time with the CU will hurt my chances of approval got an auto loan.  Do CUs typically consider how long you've been a member?

It depends on the CU and their own policies. My CU is strict, especially for those looking to get their very first auto loan - limited loan amount and 9% interest (this is with 750+ FICO scores).

Generally speaking, however, I don't think having a short/long-term relationship with a CU will affect your approval chances - unless you became best buddies with the right people, haha.  They're looking for business; and they're focused on your credit report and income - as others have stated. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the insight.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.