cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had an amazing car buying experience!

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Just had an amazing car buying experience!

Yesterday, I went to purchase my car, preapproval in hand and ready to drop $2.5K on a down payment for 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5s. Found the car I wanted, had three different people look it over and was ready to purchase. Went to sign the papers, when the dealership offers me financing. The dealership finances through Cap1. I didn't expect much of anything from them, but decided what the heck; run my credit.

My bank had already approved me for 5 years @ 3.73%. Dealership comes back with 5 years @ 5.8%. I told them no. The guy tells me to hold on, and comes back with 5 years @ 3.24% no money down, even less if I put money down, and even offers to knock off $500 on the total price (dropping the car down to $13,999). I couldn't believe it.

I hopped all over that deal! In retrospect I probably could have done better interest rate wise but I was totally happy. I walked out with a great rate and ended up keeping $2,500 in my pocket.

I just wanted to share Smiley Happy
EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just had an amazing car buying experience!

Congratulations on your deal...sounds like you went in prepared and you were rewarded well! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:
Yesterday, I went to purchase my car, preapproval in hand and ready to drop $2.5K on a down payment for 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5s. Found the car I wanted, had three different people look it over and was ready to purchase. Went to sign the papers, when the dealership offers me financing. The dealership finances through Cap1. I didn't expect much of anything from them, but decided what the heck; run my credit.

@Anonymous bank had already approved me for 5 years @ 3.73%. Dealership comes back with 5 years @ 5.8%. I told them no. The guy tells me to hold on, and comes back with 5 years @ 3.24% no money down, even less if I put money down, and even offers to knock off $500 on the total price (dropping the car down to $13,999). I couldn't believe it.

I hopped all over that deal! In retrospect I probably could have done better interest rate wise but I was totally happy. I walked out with a great rate and ended up keeping $2,500 in my pocket.

I just wanted to share Smiley Happy

This is exactly why you should always have a pre-approval in hand before going into the dealership. You were able to save .49% on the rate, $500, and got to keep your down payment.

This is also a good example of how dealerships work, so those reading please take note. Dealer offered 5.8% and then comes back with 3.24%, no down, and $500 off?? The question begs, "why didn't you offer me that in the first place?!" Answer - because some consumers dont have a pre-approval in hand and just accept this rate. Dealerships will almost always start high, and then come down to make you feel like you're getting a good deal. Whether it was the best deal, is much harder to determine. This is the same as when they are selling a car.

Dealer: "How does $15000 sound?"

Consumer: "Can you do better?"

Dealer: "Let me talk to my manager."

Dealer: *Runs to back and talks to Joe the janitor about the weather

Dealer: *comes back to you, "I was able to get it down to $14000!"

Lastly, if and when buying used, I always suggest using a CU verus a traditional bank. The reason for this is that most big banks will add to the rate, the older the car is. Versus a CU does not care if the car is brand new or 2013 for example. They do have a max age restriction, but wont penalize for a used car. *this is most CUs in my area at least. The main concern for CU is the LTV has to be in check. Suggestion to OP, check a credit union when/if you are considering to refinance.

Message 3 of 4
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

I wish I knew about this beforehand. I have a 780 fico, and got offered 2.9% for 4 years, which isn't a crime, but obviously I could have done better if I had a preapproval.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.