rebuildernewbie

Just refinanced my car loan

I got into pretty serious credit card trouble in 2009-2010.  I ended up with way too much debt and when I had my son, I couldn't afford to keep paying on my credit cards.  I could barely swing the minimums and I was getting depressed seeing the statements saying "If you keep paying the minimum payment, you will pay this off in 26 years."  I got serious about taking control of my finances and got on a debt management program at the end of 2011.  Since then, I have been paying down all I can on my debt.  I bought a new car in Feb 2012.  When the dealership pulled my credit score, it was 601.  I negotiated a 9.1% interest rate.  Now, about 13 months later, I decided it was time to refinance the car loan.  I have been paying more than the minimum on my car loan and my credit cards and I have been paying on time every month.  I applied for a refinance through a local credit union and when they pulled my credit score it was a 718!!  I have been approved for my refinanced car loan with a 3.4% interest rate.  I'm going to continue making the same payments I have been making and I will be able to pay off my car about 1.5 years early.  I'm so glad I found these forums and got serious about fixing my credit!  And I'm so excited that I am saving so much money in interest on my car.

Starting Score: 577
Current Score: 667
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Robertwd82

Re: Just refinanced my car loan

Cool, but with that score you can do betther than that rate. DCU will do 1.9% with those scores for sure.
Regular Contributor
coreyb80

Congrats on the rate as well as the progress!

Valued Contributor
Epcot

Nice job so far with your debt/scores. Congrats on the refinance. :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13
Regular Contributor
ImprovingYouth

rebuildernewbie wrote:

I got into pretty serious credit card trouble in 2009-2010.  I ended up with way too much debt and when I had my son, I couldn't afford to keep paying on my credit cards.  I could barely swing the minimums and I was getting depressed seeing the statements saying "If you keep paying the minimum payment, you will pay this off in 26 years."  I got serious about taking control of my finances and got on a debt management program at the end of 2011.  Since then, I have been paying down all I can on my debt.  I bought a new car in Feb 2012.  When the dealership pulled my credit score, it was 601.  I negotiated a 9.1% interest rate.  Now, about 13 months later, I decided it was time to refinance the car loan.  I have been paying more than the minimum on my car loan and my credit cards and I have been paying on time every month.  I applied for a refinance through a local credit union and when they pulled my credit score it was a 718!!  I have been approved for my refinanced car loan with a 3.4% interest rate.  I'm going to continue making the same payments I have been making and I will be able to pay off my car about 1.5 years early.  I'm so glad I found these forums and got serious about fixing my credit!  And I'm so excited that I am saving so much money in interest on my car.

Congratz!!!! Also good job on the first loan you received, 9.1% is pretty darn good for a 601, but 3.4 suits you much better :catwink:

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly :smileytongue:) //CK:692, Sesame:656

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}