Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lease almost up - Options?

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Lease almost up - Options?

I have 2 cars leased that are up in the summer. These are both my first cars and obviously my first lease so I'm a not sure what to expect. I'm a little torn on whether to buy the cars and keep them or get something new, and would like some of your feedback. I really like the cars, but obviously getting something new is always fun and exciting. However, I'm worried if I just let them go then I will be hit with the "wear and tear" fees. The cars are in good shape, but over 3 years a minor scratch or dent does occur. On the flip side, I'm worried that if I keep the cars then my understanding is they will no longer have any warranty and if something happens its all out of pocket for me correct? Any thoughts?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Lease almost up - Options?

what are the cars?

how long was your lease?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every company is different, but..

In general unless the car is really beat up you don't have to worry. I was told by Nissan that they consider 2 small scratches and 1 small dent to be normal wear and tear. On top of that every car I've leased has offered me an extra $500 in wear and tear damage if I leased another car of the same brand. I've had 4 leases, 2 Nissans, 1 Acura and 1 Toyota and I never had to pay anything for wear and tear. 

Again, this can vary by make, but I was also able to have one of them send someone to my house to inspect the car before I made the decision. When the inspection was done I was told whether there were going to be any extra charges or not. I had a good hand car wash done including the interior, but not a full detail before the inspector came out. I think she spent less than 5 minutes looking at it. 

Message 3 of 6
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

what are the cars?

how long was your lease?

39 month leases, '12 Chevy cruze and '12 Chevy camaro.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 4 of 6
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Every company is different, but..

In general unless the car is really beat up you don't have to worry. I was told by Nissan that they consider 2 small scratches and 1 small dent to be normal wear and tear. On top of that every car I've leased has offered me an extra $500 in wear and tear damage if I leased another car of the same brand. I've had 4 leases, 2 Nissans, 1 Acura and 1 Toyota and I never had to pay anything for wear and tear. 

Again, this can vary by make, but I was also able to have one of them send someone to my house to inspect the car before I made the decision. When the inspection was done I was told whether there were going to be any extra charges or not. I had a good hand car wash done including the interior, but not a full detail before the inspector came out. I think she spent less than 5 minutes looking at it. 

Yeah at most a scratch or extremely minor ding here and there, if I got them detailed they would probably look brand new. The insides are great too, I don't have any animals or kids so the cars are in very good shape lol. But like I said, after 3 years normal wear and tear does occur and I have heard stories where they upcharge you through the roof to fix minor stuff. If I do get something new, that would have to be another decision I make, whether I buy or lease again.

Message 5 of 6
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Also had another thought -If I wanted to keep the cars, wouldn't it be smarter just buy them now instead of waiting until the lease is up in a few months? It would lower my monthly payment if I am running the numbers correctly.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.