cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leasing a Tesla: 720 Credit Score, $70,000 Income, Only 2 Credit Cards w/low balances

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Leasing a Tesla: 720 Credit Score, $70,000 Income, Only 2 Credit Cards w/low balances

@sccredit wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

umm because of the fact that i have a the required credit score they are looking for along with the income and Debt to Income ratio.

Then why did you even ask the question in the first place?  If you are that certain it's a slam-dunk, just go buy your car...oh, excuse me...go lease your car. 

Seriously?  Why waste the time posting here?

FWIW, as your salary goes up, so does your tax bracket.  So that $20K won't really be $2K extra in your pocket each month (and $20K per year =/= $2K per month even pre-tax).  And if someone gives me 10,000 GRAND, as you said in your previous post ("Hell even an extra 10,000 grand gives me enough breathing room."), I am quitting my job.  Right then and there.  Smiley Very Happy

x2!

OP - IMO (which is what you get on a public forum) you are making a foolish decision.  A $100k car, even on a $100k income is foolish. Life changes very very fast.  For example when my wife and I started dating I lived in a condo at the beach in San Clemente CA and worked in a high rise in Newport Beach making extremely good money managing an investment fund.  in 2008-2009 the condo was sold (even though I put 20% down I came out break even), the Saleen (S281/Mustang)was sold and I was driving my truck around UNEMPLOYED.  

A year later, I was driving a crappy Chevy Trailblazer around, a married man, preparing for a kid and making less than half of what I was previously.  You never know what will happen and you are not thinking ahead enough, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Again, just my opinion, take it for what you want.

^^^This is so true!  Life has a funny way of doing a 180 when you least expect it. I have my own story to tell, but will refrain because I don't want to bring the mood of the thread down.

$100k income is no where near the income you need to support either a lease or a purchase of a $100k vehicle.

As pointed out you need more than just income. The dealer is going to want to see assets, and a history of making large payments. If you don't have that history, they are going to want you to reduce the risk to the lender. 

Having said the above, it is not unusual for young men to want to buy the big expensive vehicle when they have no other responsibilites. It is showing that you can stick it out and make the payments during the entire term of the lease that will be the issue, because you have no recent history of large payments for the long term.

Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Leasing a Tesla: 720 Credit Score, $70,000 Income, Only 2 Credit Cards w/low balances

Live within your means today. Don't anticipate your future salary. It can come back to seriously burn you. That's how I got the 5-figure CC debt in my sig... living like I already had the 6-figure job I expected when I finished grad school.

Message 22 of 47
Dimanchi
New Contributor

I am going to tell my bank that I will be making 500K two years from now and ask them to finance me a small plane... let's see how well that will go.  Formula for disaster to leverage that much based on unrealized or potential income.. I don't know of a bank that you will let him lease a 100K with the current income... I could be wrong,,, but I will not put myself in that situation... Toyota makes nice affordable electric cars,, I would go that way..

CTYP 7K - CITI AA 6K - AMEX Delta 1.0K- DISCIT 1.2K - Barc 1.9K,-FuelReward 5K-SportsmanGuide 5K -Total Rewards 6.2K - BofA 1-2-3 CR 15K, JCREW 5.3K, AMAZON 2.9, Chase Freedom 3.5K, CAP 1 QS VISA SIG 5K, VENTURE 20K -- Total CL > 80K

Starting FICO SCORES (10/2013) EQ 538 - EX 558
Current FICO SCORES - EQ 713 - EX 722 - 01/28/15

THIS TIME I AM GOING TO THE GARDEN AND STAYING IN UNTIL 2016 - HELP ME STAY!!!
Message 23 of 47
Dimanchi
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I wanted to get the opinions of folks who have leased or finance, to see what you're experiences are.

The specs of my Model S would be: $92320 before tacking on fees and taxes. When i take my Net income ($4972) against the monthly payment $1136, the ratio is only 22% of my income

So I am trying to find out if i would be a approved for a lease with these credentials. I am working my way up to the 720 credit score, should be there in about 2 months. I havent bought anything on credit for quite sometime, 2004ish..

I have since opened 2 credit cards with very low balances owed.

Would i be able to make it happen?

My net income is over 12k\month and I will not touch a car at that range!! Get a Toyota or Nissan Leaf

CTYP 7K - CITI AA 6K - AMEX Delta 1.0K- DISCIT 1.2K - Barc 1.9K,-FuelReward 5K-SportsmanGuide 5K -Total Rewards 6.2K - BofA 1-2-3 CR 15K, JCREW 5.3K, AMAZON 2.9, Chase Freedom 3.5K, CAP 1 QS VISA SIG 5K, VENTURE 20K -- Total CL > 80K

Starting FICO SCORES (10/2013) EQ 538 - EX 558
Current FICO SCORES - EQ 713 - EX 722 - 01/28/15

THIS TIME I AM GOING TO THE GARDEN AND STAYING IN UNTIL 2016 - HELP ME STAY!!!
Message 24 of 47
Zharper

I dont understand why people who view cars only as transportation comment on posts like this saying this guy has bad priorities. When your buying a car like this your buying it because you want to enjoy your daily commute and you also like to go on joy rides and take pride in keeping a nice car. Why is wasting money on other hobbies fine but motoring is a wasteful hobby?. Hell since its a tesla he could go on as many joy rides as he wants with extremely low cost to power the car. He probably wants a performance car for the nice rush you get while driving not a leaf or volt that will chug along at the speed of snail.

Message 25 of 47
EddieK
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget the added value that you get with the lifetime supply of free tampons for driving an electric car.

Ok, that made a lot of sense.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zharper wrote:

I dont understand why people who view cars only as transportation comment on posts like this saying this guy has bad priorities. When your buying a car like this your buying it because you want to enjoy your daily commute and you also like to go on joy rides and take pride in keeping a nice car. Why is wasting money on other hobbies fine but motoring is a wasteful hobby?. Hell since its a tesla he could go on as many joy rides as he wants with extremely low cost to power the car. He probably wants a performance car for the nice rush you get while driving not a leaf or volt that will chug along at the speed of snail.

Because nobody should take on debt more than their annual income for a hobby. It's that simple. If someone came in here saying they made $70k and loved to play the piano so much that they wanted to take an $80k loan for a Steinway D, they'd be laughed off the forums. And a Steinway D will probably hold its value much better than a Tesla.

Because, in general, most people don't consider the total cost of ownership of a car. They don't consider that buying a more expensive car will increase the costs of insurance and maintainence. Comparing a $300 car payment to a $1000 car payment is only part of the picture financially, just like you can't directly compare a rent payment vs. a mortgage payment without considering maintenance, taxes, insurance, and utilities.

Message 27 of 47
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I don't view cars as just transportation - I LOVE cars. I love driving. I love FAST. Open wheel, stock, you name it.

I still think spending more than your annual gross salary on a car is ill advised.
Message 28 of 47
Zharper

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget the added value that you get with the lifetime supply of free tampons for driving an electric car.

An electric car that will blow the doors off many gas cars

Message 29 of 47
Zharper

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zharper wrote:

Because nobody should take on debt more than their annual income for a hobby. It's that simple. If someone came in here saying they made $70k and loved to play the piano so much that they wanted to take an $80k loan for a Steinway D, they'd be laughed off the forums. And a Steinway D will probably hold its value much better than a Tesla.

Because, in general, most people don't consider the total cost of ownership of a car. They don't consider that buying a more expensive car will increase the costs of insurance and maintainence. Comparing a $300 car payment to a $1000 car payment is only part of the picture financially, just like you can't directly compare a rent payment vs. a mortgage payment without considering maintenance, taxes, insurance, and utilities.

The teslas arent your average car maintenance will not be an issue for awhile. Not to mention your not paying for gas anymore and the cost to charge it is laughable. and the 1000 for the car payment you have to factor in your paying for transportation and a hobby in that one fee. A lot of people spend hundreds on stuff they do not need every month, why not spend it on something guaranteed enjoyable. And if they loved the music that much they would find a way to get the piano they know they will enjoy considering a Steinway could be passed down to future generations so its more of an investment. Life isnt about racing to the end with the highest amount of money its about having fun along the way.

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.