Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lending Tree.com concern

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Lending Tree.com concern

I mentioned this in another topic about refinancing my vehicle. I applied through Lending Tree and only received 4 offers from them but when I looked at my CR...I had nearly 20 inquires from banks I didn't even apply with! Including Santander, Roadloans, Blue Harbor and Nix Check Cashing (to name a few) and these arent any of the banks I applied with. I called Lending Tree and they said they only matched me with 4 banks so I should only see 4 inquires...no...I said...I have 20 inquires including the 4 banks I have offers with according to your site and 16 other banks. The agent apologized to me and had my profile/account disabled and my "offers" removed. I have a Fraud Alert on my CR so I was a bit concerned about how all these banks I didn't apply with got my info and called me and pulled my credit...Just an FYI for people looking to purchase. Don't use Lending Tree.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lending Tree.com concern

Why would this matter if any pulls within a two week period for auto loans count as one? Am I missing something?

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@CAnNY wrote:
Why would this matter if any pulls within a two week period for auto loans count as one? Am I missing something?

In OP's shoes, it would matter to me for exactly the stated reasons: why are banks I have no relationship with nosing around in my credit?

But even if there turned out to be valid reason for that, 20 inquiries still looks like 20 inquiries when you're being considered for credit. True FICO's only supposed to SCORE them as one in that case, but lenders don't necessarily see 20 as 1 unless they do a manual review. Having that many inquiries, even for auto loans or mortgages, can play havoc with future credit approvals.

Good luck getting those removed, OP.

Message 3 of 7
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@CAnNY wrote:

In OP's shoes, it would matter to me for exactly the stated reasons: why are banks I have no relationship with nosing around in my credit?

But even if there turned out to be valid reason for that, 20 inquiries still looks like 20 inquiries when you're being considered for credit. True FICO's only supposed to SCORE them as one in that case, but lenders don't necessarily see 20 as 1 unless they do a manual review. Having that many inquiries, even for auto loans or mortgages, can play havoc with future credit approvals.

Good luck getting those removed, OP.

Exactly. I am well aware of the 14 day period for rate shopping would count as one inquiry. But like was mentioned before, if a credit profile is being reviewed manually or otherwise, a lender does not see one inquiry...they see 20. I'm concerned about the security of my credit profile when Lending Tree says they only provided my information to 4 banks and 16 other banks have my information..calling both my home and cell phone back to back... My information only could have gone to the other lenders through Lending Tree. This was only meant to be a formative posts for other people looking to do business with Lending Tree. I think you'd be highly concerned if Santander...a bank operated in Spain called your home regarding a recent loan application you never applied to...

Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

are you trying to refi the 4.9 that is in your sigi?

if that's the case I probably wouldn't unless you had a specific relationship with a credit union... probably won't get lower with a major bank on a refi.

Message 5 of 7
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@creditaddict

I was but now I've decided to just keep my current loan. I can't get anyone under my current rate so refinancing doesn't make sense Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 7
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Lending Tree uses a double barrel shotgun with Beta mags to scatter your info across the nation.     I bought my wife a car back last november and the Nissan dealership did the same thing.   I know it is supposed to count as one BUT it shows 12 different inquiries for that day( i forget which report had that)

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.