Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of Employment Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Length of Employment Question

I am going to be financing a car for the first time and I have a question about how lenders consider length of employment. I worked full time to put myself through college, graduated with my B.A. in the spring and was hired into a job in my field this summer. The one question I am nervous about in the application process is my length of employment. I have only been at my current job for about 3 months, however, was employed full time with my previous job for 3+ years. I switched jobs obviously because I got my degree, got hired in my field and am now making twice as much money. Do lenders ever take things like this into consideration, or are they simply just going to see the time at my current job and count that against me? Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Length of Employment Question

Technically, the length of employment is not factored into your score. What most people don't realize is that it can affect your chance for approval on a loan. I've recently been denied because of length of employment. (3 months, like yourself) Typically most lenders want to see one year or more with your current employer.

Taken with a grain of salt, there are a few other factors. If your credit score is high enough, they are likely to ignore employment history. If it's (your CR) in the fair range, it's more of a gray area. It just depends on their underwriting standards. If your current length of employment is under 1 year, to 6 months, they also pay attention to job type. If it's a complete career change they will likely deny the application. 

I would suggest saving up your money for the next few months for a larger down payment and then apply when you've been on the job for 6 months. If you have checked your FICOs, have a "good" score, you should be able to get approved. If you're in the "fair" or lower, I wouldn't risk lowering it with an inquiry and a denial. In both cases, waiting 6 months would probably be ideal. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Length of Employment Question

Again, just wanted to note there are other factors. If the score is high enough (usually 680 or above) they will likely throw employment history out the window. Just be sure that DTI is manageable. You'll quality for first time buyer incentives, just keep in mind that they'll want to keep your monthly payment at around 15% of your monthly gross (before tax) income.

Good luck!

Message Edited by introvert on 10-28-2009 01:21 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.