Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Guidance?

tag
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

Re: Little Guidance?

@Anonymous wrote:

My suggestion : Refinance if possible, usually sale price is used which is higher than trade in terms of value, and you could end up paying WAY less in interest. If anything keep the payment the same but shorten the term so you can pay it down quicker. The only other true way to possibly get out of this would be to find a new car with a $8K+ discount on MSRP and I'd only take that route if interest was in a low range.

Well I took your suggestion and Refinanced my Dodge today. 

Dropped from 15% for 72 months (with 65 months remaining)

to 5.25% for 60 months. 

I'm shaving almost $150 off my monthly Payment. 

I think at this point ( at least for the next 8 months) I'm going to attempt to pay down my car as quickly as I can and try and get on top of it's value. Since tax time is coming around that's $3-4K I could dump into the principle of the car. Is that a good idea? Or should I keep looking to trade out? 

5 months + $150/m is a significant savings, especially over the life of the loan. I would say good job! I would try and chip in the extra $150 a month toward the principal to bring the balance down sooner and I'd probably trade when you're not nearly as upside down as you are (generally when you can either afford to pay out of pocket for the rest of the negative equity or better yet at some sort or break even point).

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 11 of 16
Appleman
Valued Contributor

That is a great re-fi! Congrats on the plan and the savings.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: for the sake of not having to make an entire new thread for just one question. 

Since I am now refinanced with my local CU - the loan is already on my account for payment due 11/15
However my loan at Ally is still showing due on 10/29 

Do I just stop paying Ally and start paying my Local CU? Will Ally's loan disapear once they recieve payment for my loan? Should I call Ally and let them know that I refinanced the car?!?!

Message 13 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: for the sake of not having to make an entire new thread for just one question. 

Since I am now refinanced with my local CU - the loan is already on my account for payment due 11/15
However my loan at Ally is still showing due on 10/29 

Do I just stop paying Ally and start paying my Local CU? Will Ally's loan disapear once they recieve payment for my loan? Should I call Ally and let them know that I refinanced the car?!?!

The payoff of Ally probably just has not been updated on the website yet.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 14 of 16
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I would pay Ally AND the new payment until you get a zero balance c from Ally.  The last thing you need is for some glitch to occur and you wind up with a 30 day late on your cr.  Ally Will return any overpayment. 

FWIW- that's how I would handle it. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 15 of 16
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your refi! 

I think you definitely did the right thing. 

Since I don't foresee your family going on any camping trips in the next 12 months, ( hard to camp w-a newborn) you essentialy have 12 months to bring down your negative equity. 

Congrats on the new baby!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.