cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan cancelled before disbursed - still on report?

tag
dta
New Contributor

Loan cancelled before disbursed - still on report?

I was approved for a used car loan with NFCU for a private party sale. I received all of the docs, including the check made out to the seller. I contacted the seller and he had already sold the car. I spoke with NFCU and they instructed me to void the check and send it and all of the docs back, which I did. The NFCU rep said it would be "like the loan never happened." I assumed then that only the inquiry would remain on my report, but it shows the account, and as closed/paid on the same day it was opened. Should this be on my report? If not, is it something I would need to dispute with the CRAs?
Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Loan cancelled before disbursed - still on report?

It shouldn't technically be there. If you really want it off, I'd talk to NFCU and get the address to their credit reporting team (or use the address for them on your credit report) and send a dispute there first. Then try with the bureaus.

In all seriousness, I'd maybe even leave it haha. It's helping with your credit mix part of the score anyways. And the AAoA hit will wear off soon enough.

I'm also not an expert on disputes, maybe someone who is can chime in soon.

Message 2 of 4
dta
New Contributor

Thanks! Since I got another loan, have another paid car loan and my oldest accts are 16+yrs, it probably doesn't help my score too much. Just wasn't sure if it sounded wrong and where to start if it did.
Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 3 of 4
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Definitely sounds wrong. I'd start with NFCU (phone and their address on your credit report). If that fails, you could try disputing directly with the credit bureaus. I think the key word you want to use here in disputes, etc... is that the loan was only preapproved, never disbursed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.