Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan options on used vehicle

tag
rinstarangel
Established Member

Loan options on used vehicle

I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler from CarMax.  I had them transfer it from another location so they put a 72 hour hold on it for me.  It arrived yesterday and I went to look at it today and test drive it.  Love it!  Their price is $23,599.  I am trading in my current vehicle and after the pay-off of my current loan, it gives me $2,000 for a down payment.  I have until tomorrow to obtain financing or the Jeep will be available to the public (no longer held just for me).  They ran my credit and offered me a 72 month loan @ 16.99%.  My current FAKO according to CreditKarma is ~650.  I have a clean auto loan history and no lates/derogatories but I have high credit usage (~55% overall but for a few cards I have 90% usage).  My pre-tax annual salary is ~$60,000.  They said that I can accept their loan and then have 5 days to obtain better rates elsewhere and use that instead. 

I applied for a loan online for a brand new Wrangler with my credit union on Saturday but due to it being the weekend, I have not heard back yet.  I am going to talk to them tomorrow about using the same credit pull for a used loan instead.  Any suggestions on where else I should apply?  The rate CarMax gave me seems incredibly high, especially when I refinanced my current vehicle less than a year ago with a different credit union and have a 6.9% interest rate.  I moved to a new state and a new job ~9 months ago, but my previous residence and job were the same for more than 3 years.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Loan options on used vehicle

It's hard to say based on just FAKO because that score has no meaning. We'd really need your FICO to help. I do agree though that 17% sounds high esp. if your FICO (not FAKO) is 650.

If your FICO is around 650, I'd recommend trying maybe DCU in addition to your local CU. Digital Credit Union gives out 4-5% rates for 650 EQ FICOs generally. Also why not try the CU you currently have the 6.9% loan with? THey'd probably be eager to earn your business again.

What FICO score did Carmax pull? You should be able to ask them?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.