cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a CREDIT UNION to join. Any suggestions ?

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Looking for a CREDIT UNION to join. Any suggestions ?

Hello,

I'm a resident of Delaware, but i reside 3-4 months out of the year in california for vacation. I want to buy a car in about 4-5 months, that will stay in California all year long and i was told CU have the best rates.

Now my question is like that. Should i join a CU in my resident state or in the state i want to buy the car? Does it make any difference ?

I can join easily some CU in Delaware because i meet the requirements to join, but i haven't found yet any CU in California were i meet the requirements, because obviously i don't live there or am part of any organisation they request. 

Does anybody know a CU in California that I could join without being a californian resident? Or any CU that is nationwide ?

Any help would be great

Thanks

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a CREDIT UNION to join. Any suggestions ?

It does not matter. Once you are a member of a CU (in most cases) you can utilize their services from any location in the future. But, def. check with the CU before joining.

Message 2 of 5
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

Hello,

I'm a resident of Delaware, but i reside 3-4 months out of the year in california for vacation. I want to buy a car in about 4-5 months, that will stay in California all year long and i was told CU have the best rates.

Now my question is like that. Should i join a CU in my resident state or in the state i want to buy the car? Does it make any difference ?

I can join easily some CU in Delaware because i meet the requirements to join, but i haven't found yet any CU in California were i meet the requirements, because obviously i don't live there or am part of any organisation they request. 

Does anybody know a CU in California that I could join without being a californian resident? Or any CU that is nationwide ?

Any help would be great

Thanks

if your in the San Diego area i would look in to California Coast Credit Union i just refi'd my car with them and they have great rates! 675+ is 2.9% and 700+ is 1.9%. Great customer service too

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 3 of 5
pat0812
Regular Contributor

I joined DCU. Hope it will work out fine
FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 4 of 5
aplast
Regular Contributor

Good choice on joining a CU! I refinanced my civic this past month, and the rate reduction was huge! My CU here in Houston knew my name the second time I walked in. I love the smaller scale and the customer service is fantastic. They also offered me a CC with 0% BT for 12 months. Im in the garden right now so no new accounts, but congrats on joining and already having secured financing so gives you the upper hand in purchasing your vehicle. Keep us updated!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.