Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a bigger loan

tag
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a bigger loan

Everybody will always give advice to app outside of the dealership first......and that's what you should do, and that's what you have done.......BUT..... there's one downside to apping outside of the dealership, and that is the amount you get approved for won't be as high. The criteria for the approval is stricter when going on your own, but a dealer has so much pull with his banks he deals with because they NEED to sell cars and his banks knows that, that the dealer can get you approved for a higher amount than what you can get on your own.

The advantage to apping outside of dealer is for PERCENTAGE RATES, not loan amounts....and I think people should clarify this when giving out this advice.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 11 of 26
Autoloanwar

Kratos, Thanks i just got my email from chase and they have approved me for $20,000 at 3.69% not the $32,000 i ask for the rates are ok i guess but not the amount. I guess I should find a Dealer i like online have them finance from there F&I guy/girl  and see what he/she can do for me?

EQ FICO: 789
EX FICO: 742
TU FICO: 772
AMEX $25,000, Discover $18,200, Bank Of America$15,000,Citi$15,000 Paypal Extra $7,500, Chase $6,500, Wells Fargo $4,000, CU Card $3,500, CU Line of Credit $3,500
Message 12 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Autoloanwar wrote:

Kratos, Thanks i just got my email from chase and they have approved me for $20,000 at 3.69% not the $32,000 i ask for the rates are ok i guess but not the amount. I guess I should find a Dealer i like online have them finance from there F&I guy/girl  and see what he/she can do for me?

yes, apply to toyota

Message 13 of 26
Autoloanwar

Should i apply with Toyota or a Dealer who sells Toyota?

AMEX $25,000, Discover $18,200, Bank Of America$15,000,Citi$15,000 Paypal Extra $7,500, Chase $6,500, Wells Fargo $4,000, CU Card $3,500, CU Line of Credit $3,500
Message 14 of 26
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@coterotie wrote:

The 50% or 2/3's of annual income were the guidelines we used to use so people knew how to shop.  This was back in the old days when financial calculators and loan estimators weren't built into everyone's phone.  Hell we used a little book and people called us on our landline phone from their house land line phone.  Then we had a loan calculator on our desk that cost more than $750 and produced a paper tape about 2 feet long to write up the loan.  

It was based on the monthly payment not that you were paying off the car in one year with your annual income.  30k for 60mo is $539/month on a gross of 4,333 or 12%.  Mortgage payment of 1K puts him at 35%.  I would do the pre-approval with Toyota with the appropriate inputs and see what happens.

I can't disagree with the find a 2 year old one advice though.

^^^Thanks! I guess I was asleep this morning when I read the post. Sorry. I know how to do DTI calculations but sometimes I just mess up.....Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Autoloanwar wrote:

Should i apply with Toyota or a Dealer who sells Toyota?

what's the difference?

I thought Toyota told you they will forward to the dealership you pick?

Message 16 of 26
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

@Autoloanwar wrote:

If you go to a dealer such as Toyota, you'll walk out of there with anything you want. I'm not kidding. TFS is so into selling cars, I've seen them give 0% fiancing and high loan amounts to people with crazy low scores. The same people who wouldn't get approved by anyone outside of the dealership.

Go apply quickly at the dealer while those inquiries you got is not hurting you. Wait too long and all these banks you apped with will come to haunt you over the next 6 months.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 17 of 26
Autoloanwar

Kratos-TM wrote:

Autoloanwar wrote:

Kratos, Thanks i just got my email from chase and they have approved me for $20,000 at 3.69% not the $32,000 i ask for the rates are OK i guess but not the amount. I guess I should find a Dealer i like online have them finance from there F&I guy/girl  and see what he/she can do for me?

If you go to a dealer such as Toyota, you'll walk out of there with anything you want. I'm not kidding. TFS is so into selling cars, I've seen them give 0% fiance and high loan amounts to people with crazy low scores. The same people who wouldn't get approved by anyone outside of the dealership.

Go apply quickly at the dealer while those inquiries you got is not hurting you. Wait too long and all these banks you apped with will come to haunt you over the next 6 months.

I apped with TFS online they sent it to the dealer I want to work with, now I guess I just wait and see what happens. Since I know what kind of rates I can get I'll try to see if they can match Or do better my hope is to get a large amount.

Message 18 of 26
Autoloanwar

Update so i found the car i wanted, And now i'm just waiting to here back from the Dealer tommorow he told me wells fargo came back with $20,000 (thats lower then what i got pre approved for which is 24,500) said he may need to talk to them and said he heard nothing from TFS. Also i was told me score is 762 what gives? I guess i'll just put down more if i can't get the amount i want I just don't understand..

Message 19 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How much?
And wow on score and any issues!
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.