cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a car found out credit was shotgunned!

tag
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Looking for a car found out credit was shotgunned!

Went to a dealer tonight and he was the only one to tell me this, I had no idea that my credit was shopped around so much?!

All the way back to 2010 when I was looking for a car. How long with this stay on my credit & how bad has this damaged my credit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking for a car found out credit was shotgunned!

Almost every car dealer does this.   Most will have a network of companies that they use, and they want to have the best chance to get your financing approved. 

All of the inquiries will show on your CR individually.   However from a FICO perspecitive they are only scored as one inquiry, within a certain window, like 30 - 45 days or so, depending on the FICO version, and also assuming that the inquires are all coded as AUTO financing inquiries.

All inquires lose their scoring ding after one year.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

Almost every car dealer does this.   Most will have a network of companies that they use, and they want to have the best chance to get your financing approved. 

All of the inquiries will show on your CR individually.   However from a FICO perspecitive they are only scored as one inquiry, within a certain window, like 30 - 45 days or so, depending on the FICO version, and also assuming that the inquires are all coded as AUTO financing inquiries.

All inquires lose their scoring ding after one year.

+1

But did you get approved for the loan or not???

Message 3 of 5
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Well thats good to hear. They had me down visting the same Dealers more than than once? 

Message 4 of 5
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Happened to me last year too, went to 2 dealershups and ended up with like 14 inquiries total.  Fico only counts as one, but I still got flack for it when talking to underwriters doing manual reviews when i applied for a personal loan.  I learned my lesson, next time ill arrange my own financing through my CU ( ended up financing through them anyways)

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.